The Disability-Research Discussion List

Managed by the Centre for Disability Studies at the University of Leeds

Help for DISABILITY-RESEARCH Archives

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Archives

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Archives

DISABILITY-RESEARCH@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

Message:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Topic:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Author:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

LISTSERV Archives

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Home

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Home

DISABILITY-RESEARCH  August 2007

DISABILITY-RESEARCH August 2007

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Log In

Get Password

Get Password

Re: Disability Studies Association E-Newsletter: August 2007

Tsitsi Chataika <[log in to unmask]>

Tsitsi Chataika <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 6 Aug 2007 08:01:25 +0100

text/plain

Dear all

  I hope you are all doing well  and for those in the UK, hopefully, you are enjoying a bit of summerish weather.  I welcome you to the 5th edition of the Disability Studies Association e-newsletter (in association with the Research Institute of Health and Social Change, Manchester Metropolitan University and Breakthrough UK Ltd) below:

  Very Best Wishes
  Tsitsi Chataika

  Disability Research Network e-Newsletter: July 2007

  Editor’s Comments:

Welcome to the 5th edition of the Disability Research Network e-newsletter.  I would like to thank all those who contributed in the last edition.   Keep on emailing me your contributions so that we are aware of what is happening in disability research circles. Please remember to submit contributions for the next edition by latest 28th August 2007 for me to put together the newsletter and email it to you on time. Once again, thank you for the wonderful support and I wish you the best in disability research.

Best Wishes
Tsitsi Chataika

  Coordinator’s Comments:

Please find below the fifth e-newsletter from this newly established but expandable network. Our aims are to provide informal, off the press and informative monthly details of disability research activities, which might be of interest to audiences including disability activists, organisations of disabled people, students, researchers, policy makers, families, practitioners and local authorities.

The idea for this newsletter emerged from discussions between the Research Institute for Health and Social Change, Manchester Metropolitan University (http://www.rihsc.mmu.ac.uk/) and Breakthrough UK Ltd - a social enterprise that draws upon social model ideas to promote employment advocacy, advice, support and training to disabled people (http://www.breakthrough-uk.com/). They encouraged us to share regular information from disability research, which might inform their work. This sharing and networking links into the aims of the Disability Studies Association and, we hope, will have broader appeal (http://www.disabilitystudies.net/). This network relies, obviously, on regular monthly input. What we would like from you, if you are interested …

  ·        The details of your institution and one contact person and their email address

  ·        Monthly commitment to provide us with BRIEF information (inc. related web links) about disability research activities you and your colleagues are involved through emails each month me (you will be reminded by email). This could be no more than a few lines – and no attachments – as we want to keep it workable, informal and relatively easy to read.

  ·        To provide details on such things as news on forthcoming publications;
conferences/seminars you are attending or hosting; funding opportunities of interest to disability researchers; news from local and national government; international disability issues; stories from research; ideas for research that you would like to explore with interested others; disability studies teaching materials and resources; links to new policy and user consultation, etc …

  ·        To provide in your email information categorised in terms of your institution e.g. ‘News from the Research Institute of Health and Social Change, Manchester Metropolitan University’; ‘Activities of the
disability studies team at University of Northumbria’.

  ·        To make the email simple text without loads of formatting for ease of putting together

  ·        To posit other ideas for developing the e-newsletter - perhaps a section on 'possible future research / funding priorities' which readers might be able to link into for funding bids.

  We hope you are interested.

  Very best wishes,

  Dan Goodley

1. News From Manchester Metropolitan University, Research Institute of Health and Social Change

  Contact - Dan Goodley ([log in to unmask])

  (a) Exploring and promoting disability studies in Malaysia
Dan Goodley and Rebecca Lawthom are presenting the following papers at
the Asian Association of Social Psychology, Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia,
24-28th July 2007

"Parenting a Disabled Child: Creating enabling identities in a changing
but disabling world"

“The Social Psychology and Politics of Disability in a Global World:
Critical Reflections from the UK and Malaysia”

They will then move on to Penang, to work with self-advocacy groups and
psychologists to present workshops exploring connections between
disability politics, self-advocacy, globalisation and critical psychology.
Further details and links can be found at http://www.unitedvoice.com.my/

For papers please contact Dan Goodley ([log in to unmask])

(b) Association of Disability Practitioners - keynote
The focus of the NADP Annual Conference 2007 was Supporting the
Practitioner. It took place at the Paramount Hotel, Daventry on Tuesday 3rd
and Wednesday 4th July 2007. Dan Goodley presented a keynote exploring
disability studies, professional practice and the potential influence of
psychology

(c) “Disability, Discourse and Community Psychology”:  The 1st Seminar
John Dalton Building, Room E29, 6th July 2007, 10.30 - 3.30pm

This seminar was a huge success bringing together colleagues interested
in exploring how ideas associated with critical theory, discursive and
community psychologies relate to the development of a critical and
emancipatory disability studies. The next seminar will be held in London
in July 2007. Any interested participants/contributors should contact
Dan Goodley ([log in to unmask]) or Stephen Hodgkins

(d) ESRC Parents, professionals and disabled babies: Identifying
Enabling Care

  The end of award report for this project directed by Dan Goodley,
Janice McLaughlin and involving researchers Emma Clavering, Claire Tregaskis and Pam Fisher was rated ‘GOOD’ by the ESRC. Further publications and outputs can be found at www.shef.ac.uk/disabledbabies/

  2. News from Lancaster University
  Contact Person: Hannah Morgan, Lecturer in Applied Social Science
  Director of Studies BA Social Work.
  Email: [log in to unmask]

  Professor Carol Thomas officially opened The Cornerstone premises in Lancaster on 13th July. The Cornerstone initiative involves a group of organisations who have combined with Lancaster Methodist Church in developing a central Lancaster property. The aim is "to create a multi-agency resource where we can share resources, give each other support and as appropriate work together". The organisations are:-
  - One Voice - which is run by disabled people and provides information and support to disabled people living in Lancaster and Morecambe district.
  - Thumbprint supports people with learning disabilities to set up and run their own projects, vocational and employment opportunities. Our Trustee group involves people with learning disabilities.
  - Lonsdale Carers offers support and advice to carers in Lancaster and Morecambe district.
  - Lancaster Methodist Church "Fresh Expressions” group aims to involve the church in work directly within the local community.
  Website: www.thecornerstonelancaster.org.uk

  3. Participants Sought by Colin Cameron
  I am a disabled PhD researcher at Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh. I am currently looking for 10-12 disabled people (anywhere in Britain) who would be interested in taking part in a series of interviews on disability identity. This would involve talking about ways that people think about themselves, experiences that have led them to think the way they do, messages about being disabled they have been given as members of families, communities, society.

  I would like to involve:

  (i) people who have really strong & positive disability identities, maybe activists involved in campaigning activity in the disabled people’s movement;

  (ii) people for whom being disabled is just a fact of life, something to get on with, but not really something to go on about:

  (iii) people who really hate being disabled & who can’t see anything good in the experience

  Participants would each be asked to take part in four interviews in a series of different situations reflecting different parts of their lives. Interviews will be fairly informal, organised loosely around the themes ‘Who am I?’ & ‘How do I fit into the world?’

  The social model of disability – the view that people are disabled by physical & social barriers rather than by their own impairments - will be the underlying principle upon which this research is based. Interviews will be carried out between October 2007 & October 2008.

  If you are interested in finding out more about this research – either because you would like to be involved as a participant or because you would like to pass information to someone you know who might be interested - please contact:

              Colin Cameron
              PhD Research Student
              School of Media, Communication & Sociology
              Queen Margaret University
              Corstorphine
              Edinburgh EH12 8TS

  Email: [log in to unmask]
  Tel:      01368 864548

  Full confidentiality is guaranteed. This research has ethical approval from
  Queen Margaret University.

  4. Participants Sought by Toshimi Ichinose
  Email: [log in to unmask]
  Mobile: 07852744418

  My name is Toshimi Ichinose. I am a mature student at Leeds University studying towards an MA in Disability Studies. I am planning to conduct research into the attitudes of non-disabled people who have had a disabled classmate. Through my experience of having a disabled child, I have learnt a lot about disability and this has and this has enabled me to see the world in a different way. Consequently, I am interested in how studying alongside disabled students in mainstream schools changes non-disabled people's attitudes towards disability.

  I would like to know about school life, friendship, and teachers. I have prepared a questionnaire for people who meet the following criteria:

  (i) Non-disabled people who had primary and secondary school education in England
  (ii) Had a disabled classmate
  (iii) Between 20 and 35 years old

  If you are willing and able to help with my research, please send an e-mail to the above address so that I can forward my questionnaire to you.

  Thank you very much for your help.

  Best Regards

  5. News from Tameside Metropolitan Borough Council - Greater Manchester

  Contact Person: Peter Denton
  Tel 0161 370 1179; Fax: 0161 370 1183
  Minicom 0161 301 2490;
  E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Multi-Agency Disability Conference

Tameside MBC, together with partners in the statutory and voluntary
sectors, is holding the first annual conference for disabled people who
live and work in the borough.  The event will take place on 15th
September 2007 and will run from 10 am until 4 pm.  The conference aims
to bring a broad range of disabled people together to discuss issues
about services and policies with the people who have the power to
change those services and policies on a local level.

Workshop themes include:

(i) Work, Training and Volunteering
(ii) Healthy Living
  (iii) Health and Care Services
(iv)Housing
  (v) Transport
(vi) Information
(vii) Leisure
(viii) Access
(ix) Feeling Safe at Home

Attendance is free for disabled people, but places need to be booked in
advance.  The closing date for bookings is 24th August 2007.  For more
information contact Peter Denton (details above).

We would like this conference to be open to all partner organisations
who provide services in the borough.  If you would like your
organisation to be involved, please contact Peter Denton (details
above).

  6. News from Rohhss Chapman, University of Manchester
  Email: [log in to unmask]

  The Carlisle People First Research Team has an article printed in the new edition of Disability and Society.

See details below:

Online Publication Date: 01 August 2007
Townson, Louise, Macauley, Sue, Harkness, Elizabeth,
Docherty, Andy, Dias, John, Eardley, Malcolm and Chapman, Rohhss (2007)
'Research project on advocacy and autism', Disability & Society, 22:5,
523 - 536

  For further details, please contact:

  Dr. Rohhss Chapman
  First Year Programme Manager
  Learning Disability Studies Degree
  School of Education
  A6.2 Ellen Wilkinson Building
  University of Manchester
  Oxford Road
  Manchester
  M13 9PL
  Direct LIne: 0161 275 8477; Internal: 58477

  NB: A copy of this Newsletter is available at:

http://www.breakthrough-uk.com/DRN.shtml

             END OF NEWSLETTER

For any further contributions and information, email to:

Tsitsi Chataika
PhD Student
University of Sheffield
School of Education
Tel/Fax: 0044(0)113 293 8749
Mobile:  0044 (0)79 03859902

 Check out the All New Yahoo! Mail blog

This Disability-Research Discussion list is managed by the Centre for Disability Studies at the University of Leeds (www.leeds.ac.uk/disability-studies). Enquiries about the list administratione should be sent to [log in to unmask]
Archives and tools are located at: