Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: A pride of giants

Marshall Grossman <[log in to unmask]>

Sidney-Spenser Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 5 Jun 2007 09:49:43 -0400

text/plain

Thanks Jim and Ken.  The idea of Milton picking up pieces of the
crucifixion in various works is very appealing. I'd want to add the
catastrophe in /Samson Agonistes/ as a final (but not completing) limb.
I suspect that Milton's inability or failure to write the passion
follows, from and, makes sense in terms of, a developing and very
radical Christology, which is strangely grounded in Milton's respect for
the materiality of signifiers, be they words or the Word.  But I won't
clutter up a Spenser list with the details of this half-thought thought.

Your evocation of Hippolytus as intertext for both Spenser and Milton
reminds me of an old question about Red Cross's entering latency after
his betrothal to Una. In the Golden Legend the fate of St George turns
pretty ugly (or glorious in the number of important souls saved by
witnessing his interminable suffering) after he slays the dragon, and I
always wondered about what would have happened to him in the unwritten
books of FQ and whether Spenser's readers would import the after story
from the legend as a dark shadow over the "happy ending" of Book I. All
the stuff about dismemberment and reconstituted relics is there in the
hagiography, which suggests that the ending of FQ II is rather like the
ending of /Paradise Regained/.  The dragon is dead and Eden is raised in
the wilderness, but all the painful dismemberment and resurrection
necessary to put the "good news" to work is left to a nasty future that
Jesus anticipates but Red Cross does not.  Of course it is easier for
Jesus to know what comes when the page is turned because he's read Judges.

--
Marshall Grossman
Professor

301-405-9651