PODIATRY  May 2007

PODIATRY May 2007

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Midtarsal Joint Biomechanics and Interaction of Tension/Compression Elements During Stance Phase

Stanley Beekman <[log in to unmask]>

A group for the academic discussion of current issues in podiatry <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 14 May 2007 02:28:01 -0400

text/plain

Kevin,

You wrote:

_/I very well know which camp I am staying in for the rest of my
career. // I am forever the podiatrist that wants to be working with and
speaking the same precise language as the  biomechanists and engineers
so that together we can solve a few of the mechanical mysteries of foot
and lower extremity./_

If I mis interpreted this statement, I am truly sorry. True it does not
say that you don't consider the neuromuscular system when we are
discussing the human locomotor apparatus. But placed in the context of
what Kevin Miller wrote, and this being your response, I assumed
something that is not correct. I have found you to be well read, and
knowledgeable. Again I apologize.

This being said, I am sure the entire list serve is curious how you
evaluate the neuromuscular system in regards to the human locomotor
apparatus? I am also sure the entire list serve would like to hear Kevin
Miller's response to this question as it applies to the tensegrity model
he uses.

And by the way, I never said the function of the human body is all about
pronation, equinus, and limb length discrepancy (just that they are the
only things we can treat between the foot and the ground). But that's
OK, you don't know me.

I also never professed to be an expert on anything. I just want to make
sure that the theories being espoused here coincide with what I have
seen and learned, and if there is something inconsistent, then where is
the faulty thinking. In fact in my last post I stated that "maybe I am
seeing something in the wrong light". From the time I became a member of
this list serve, thankfully my thinking has changed several times. So
since you are much more learned than me (and since it has been so many
years since I went to college that I can't even remember the courses I
took), tell me how you use cell physiology, cardiovascular physiology,
renal physiology, endocrine physiology, and neuromuscular physiology in
evaluating the foot.

Sincerely,

Stanley

Kevin Kirby wrote:
> Stanley:
>
> You wrote:
>
> <<I understand that we want to measure and understand the human body
> from a mechanical engineering perspective, but the human body is more
> complicated than just that. We have the brain to control everything,
> and it functions like a computer. Sometimes it has bad output due to
> improperly functioning proprioreceptors (muscle spindle cells and
> golgi tendon organs), and other means of sensory input. So really a
> computer engineering perspective has to be added to the mix.>>
>
> I never said, Stanley, that we should not consider the physiology of
> the neuromuscular system when we are discussing the human locomotor
> apparatus.  In fact, I welcome these discussions since my
> undergraduate major at the University of California at Davis was in
> Animal Physiology.  In the four years before I entered podiatry school
> I took upper division courses in cell physiology, cardiovascular
> physiology, renal physiology,  endocrine physiology, neuromuscular
> physiology and took a few graduate courses in exercise physiology on
> the environmental effects on physical performance and on metabolic
> physiology during exercise.  These courses were much more detailed and
> difficult than the physiology courses I took in podiatry school.  In
> addition, these courses included laboratory experiments in which I
> personally inserted  micropipettes into squid giant axons to measure
> action potentials, performed open heart surgery on anesthetized dogs
> to measure changes in heart volume during contraction, and performed
> surgery on anesthetized chickens to measure muscle force during
> stimulation of the sciatic nerve.
>
> Therefore, for you to assume that I don't consider the physiology or
> function of the whole body when I discuss biomechanics of the foot not
> only irritates me but demonstrates how little you know about my
> academic background.  Just because I don't mention everything about
> how the human body functions within my postings on this forum, doesn't
> mean I don't consider it and doesn't mean that I don't think it is
> important.  My postings on this forum are concise and to the point on
> these subjects since I need to focus my discussion on one little
> aspect of the workings of the body if I am to get a point across.  If
> you think I am not considering something I have not mentioned in my
> postings, then instead of telling me I am not considering it why don't
> you first ask me if I have considered it instead of assuming I have
> not considered it!
>
> If you want to talk about physiology of any of the major systems of
> the animal and/or human body, including respiratory, cardiovascular,
> neurological, endocrine, renal, or the specialized physiological
> processes involved in the exercise, heat, cold, altitude or
> weightlessness, I am ready and eager to hear what you have to say
> about these functional processes of the human body.   You know, the
> [...]

This message was distributed by the Podiatry JISCmail list server
All opinions and assertions contained in this message are those of
the original author. The listowner(s) and the JISCmail service take
no responsibility for the content.
to leave the Podiatry email list send a message containing the text
leave podiatry
to [log in to unmask]
Please visit http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk for any further information