PHD-DESIGN  May 2007

PHD-DESIGN May 2007

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Poetry, Language, Thought. Essays and Conferences

Eduardo Corte Real <[log in to unmask]>

Eduardo Corte Real <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 17 May 2007 16:21:02 +0100

text/plain

Dear Ken,

Let me quote what Adolfo Casais Monteiro wrote in 1956:

"Modernity was a fight against everything - but for nothing. For that reason
no philosopher belongs more to modernity than Heidegger. And so La Nausée by
Sartre is one of the greatest books of our time. At least the annulment
takes consciousness of itself, in spite of the weird words of the former
author who can't be blamed for being a philosopher and not a poet."

Not being blamed for being a philosopher.

My "Building Dwelling Thinking" was "Bâtir, Habiter Penser" and the book was
Essays et Conferences  and not Poetry, Language, Thought. It is interesting
that your wonderful post digresses through these maters. We must confront
what are the essays in both editions. Thinking about Language and Thought,
naturally, you oppose or complement Heidegger with Wittgenstein (somehow a
red worm in my word processor underlines Heidegger as an error and
Wittgenstein doesn't. I guess that's what you meant by different traditions)
apart from Vienna's Circle loathing of his philosophy.

I also was appalled by Heidegger's apparent lack of tact in talking about
the "fourfold" when Europe was laid in ruins caused by the Nazi folly. I
wrote about it in "How to make your ideas obscure." Back then, I opposed
Heidegger with Peirce, a very good but insidious man that is behind, I
think, the forms of clarity that David, Chris and you, still, embrace and
not Wittgenstein's.

In Wittgenstein's Poker: The Story of a Ten-Minute Argument Between Two
Great Philosophers, by David Edmonds and David Eidinow, we can read about
the opposition between Wittgenstein and Karl Popper which one could
summarize, from Popper's side, on the lack of Wittgenstein's interest in the
real human problems reducing philosophy to riddles of words constructions.

The way in which philosophy escape from the nomic  anathema that you speak
of has been by plunging deeply in sentiments (funny that you bring
Kierkegaard into the conversation) which tend to afflict both barbarians and
Greeks. That's why suffering is so worked out.

1951, the year of Wittgenstein's death (April), coincidentally is the same
year of Building Dwelling Thinking (August).

A philosopher belonging Modernity. With no doubt, especially when time found
out that modernity was over.

In my architecture school, he and Husserl were so important that the Theory
and History Department was called "Department of History, Theory and
Phenomenology of Architecture"! What about that.as if Phenomenology had the
same levell of theory or history!

Thanks for your post,

Cheers

Eduardo