Iraq Diary for the Period 21-31 March

Patricia Sleeman <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 2 Apr 2007 11:21:15 +0100

text/plain

Diary for the Period 21-31 March

Wednesday, 21 March
I was not in the mood to celebrate the Kurdish new-year, Nawrooz (NewDay).
Since I was a child I have celebrate with my brother and sisters the
Kurdish new-year. The celebration was a symbol of defiance to the former
dictatorial regimes. After the downfall of the Saddam Regime, Kurdish New
Year has become a national public holiday and to be celebrates by all
Iraqis, regardless of their ethnic and religious background. I decided to
rest at home, as I had not been well since Sunday, when I had a lot of pain
in my throat. The pain spread now to my left ear.
At exactly 13.00, a big bomb explosion shook my flat violently. It opened
the door and the windows. I ran to the roof to see where the bomb exploded.
I thought it was very close to my friend's house. Therefore, I rang
quickly. He told me that the centre of the explosion near the Ministry of
Finance, which was only 150 meters from his own house. His family was fine,
but all house's windows were smashed.

Thursday, 22 March
On my way to the INLA, I saw the devastating impact of the Wednesday's car
bomb explosion. One of the High-Way's sub- routes was extensively damaged
and collapsed. The lower half of the Ministry of Finance's huge building
was also damaged. Most of its façade collapsed and all the windows were
smashed.
There were only our guards and staff of the company were in the INLA's
building.
I stayed in my office for a few hours, readings the mails. The staff of the
Directorate of Kurdish Culture sent their papers to my office. I read their
mails and signed some papers.
I asked my driver and the guard to come to my flat between 7.45 and 8.00 to
take me to the office of the BBC Radio-World Service, where I will be
interviewed about the Iraqi culture.
At 16.00 I was interviewed for 30 minutes by a presenter from the BBC to
talk about the INLA and cultural issues.

Friday, 23 March
As planned, my driver and the guard came to my flat at 7.50. We left the
flat at 8.30, heading to the BBC Radio's office at the heart of Baghdad.
There was a few cars on the roads. I asked my driver and the guard to go
home, immediately after I got off near the BBC's office. I always ask the
driver and the guard to leave immediately any sensitive area, where I will
get off, and never wait for me.
There was an Iraq man working for the BBC waiting for me. Thirty minutes
later, I was on the air, answering a series of questions about the looting
of the Iraqi Museum and the INLA, how much of the looted items were
recovered and the importance of the collections of these institutions for
Iraq as a country. The BBC's people were warm and hospitable. I left the
BBC's office immediately after the end of the interview. I walked for ten
minutes and crossed several streets to make sure that no one was following
me. Then I stopped a taxi to take me to near my home. For security reasons,
I have always followed this plan, when visiting sensitive areas.

Saturday, 24 March
A group of armed men ambushed a military convoy in al-Jamhuriyah Street on
Friday noon. The incident signaled the return of the armed men to al-Fadhel
and aggravated the security situation in the areas surrounding the INLA.
The National Guards attacked the position of the armed men in al-Fadhel
area, destroying, in the meantime, a long Wall (2 meter-high and 400 meter-
long) that separated al-Jemhoriyah Street from al-Fadhel area. According to
a report sent by the head of the INLA's guards, the fighting was near the
INLA, and that our guards were in a state of alert for a few hours.
Saturday witnessed the resumption of the fighting between the National
Guards and the armed men at 10.00. This time the US forces took part in the
fighting that lasted for more than two hours. At 16.00, the fighting
restarted and lasted until mid-night. Our guards were deployed within the
INLA's premises. I always warn our guards against taking part in any
fighting.

Sunday, 25 March
The traffic was heavy. It took us a long time to arrive to the INLA.
 The internet was not working.
I sent after Mr. Q concerning the issue of the arrested librarian. The
story of his arrest has changed for the third time. The family of the
arrested librarian thinks now that he has been held by the Ministry of
Interior.
I set up a special committee, consisting of five members under my direct
supervision. The Committee's sole task is to select 60 people from the
staff of the dissolved Ministry of Information. I will go through the
selected names to see if we need their services in light of their
qualifications and experiences.

I held a meeting with the Department of Maintenance and Service, which had
more 20 electricians, carpenters, gardeners, plumbers and mechanics. We
talked about several issues, especially the on going renovation and
interior decoration of the INLA's building. As the INLA have a small annual
budget, I decided to form a new department for maintenance in 2005 by
employing some experienced technicians in several fields. I have been
providing the staff of the new Department with the basic tools. They
executed several important projects, such as providing fresh and sterilized
water, restoring national electricity, brining back telephone lines,
repairing smashed windows, fixing the air-conditioning system, and cleaning
and planting the gardens. In this manner, we have been able to save tens of
millions of Dinars.

Several bullets hit the rear façade of the building. One bullet made two
holes: one in the exterior window and the second in the interior window of
the English collections room.

Miss, S, our point of contact with the Ministry of Culture, was weeping
when she entered my office. The flat that she shares with her sister's
family was damaged extensively in Saturday's car bomb attack, which killed
30 people, mostly police officers. Her nephew and nice were slightly
injured. The staff decided to collect some money to help her.

At 9.30, sporadic heavy exchanges of fire in and around al-Fadhel area. I
asked the guards to be vigilant and to prevent the staff from leaving the
building. I asked the staff to stay away from the windows.
The third phase of elections took place. Five librarians were elected to
the INLA's Council of the representatives.

At around 11.40, I met the Associated Press’ reporter and photographer in
my office. The interview lasted one hour and thirty minutes. The
photographer took some pictures while touring some of the INLA's
departments. Some sporadic heavy exchanges of fire interrupted the
interview. At 13.10, both the reporter and the photographer left the
building amid heavy exchanges of fire in al-Fadhel area. Most roads were
closed. The only open road was jammed, as expected. Before leaving, the
reporter said that he would send a cameraman to film the INLA building and
departments. I arrived to my flat very exhausted.
I got a report from the head of our guards, mentioning that the fighting
broke out again in al-Fadhel area at 16.00. This was followed by sporadic
exchanges of fire.

Monday, 26March
The internet was not working. One of the Department of Computer's staff
contacted the engineer, who promised to fix the problem on Wednesday.
I inspected the library’s new reading room, which has been renovated for
since January. Almost 80% of the work has been completed. I am happy with
the renovation work that has been done so far. I hope that I can open the
new reading room in mid or late April.
At 10.30, I had a meeting with the staff of the National Archive, including
the departments of Restoration, Documentary Library, Reading Room. To
discuss and implement a new plan for the process of selecting,
declassifying and filming the documents and records.

At 11.00, the forth phase of elections took place, in which the staff of
the departments of Inspection, Restoration, Exchange and Administration
participated. It resulted in the electing six people for the INLA's Council
of Representatives.
I was asked by the Ministry of Culture to nominate five of my female staff
so that they would be awarded in a special meeting that would be held in
the Milia-Mansur Hotel on Thursday. It was extremely difficult for me to
select the five women, as I have a lot of very hard working female
librarians and archivists. At the end, I nominated five women, including
four outstanding members of al-Ferdus Society.
I went to the Acquisition Department, where I met its head, Miss. Ha. She
and the Mr.s Ja. and Da. are entrusted with the task of purchasing new
publications for the INLA. As usual, I checked all the new purchased
publications, making some observations.
The fighting broke out again and soon spread to Bab al-Mudham, just as the
INLA's staff left the building. The roundabout and the streets were being
shelled by mortars, while armed men open fires on the pedestrians. The
entire INLA's staff caught in the crossfire. One of my librarians, who is
partially disable, lost his balance and fell on his head on the pavement.
He was bleeding, unable to stand on his feet. As the fighting abated, some
people came to his rescue.
In the afternoon, a number of civilians were killed, as a result of suicide
attack in al-Rosafi Roundabout, which is 50 meters away from al-Mutanabi
Street.

I got another report from the head of INLA’d guards. It said that the
fighting broke out again in al-Fadhel area at 16.30 and lasted 18.30. The
security situation was unstable until mid-night.

Tuesday, 27 March
Sporadic exchanges of fire in al-Jamhoriyah Street and al-Fadhel area began
at 8.30.
The Associated Press's camera crew began to film life inside the INLA as
soon as they arrived.
I was not able to attend a special gathering organized by the Ministry of
Culture in the National Theatre in memory of al-Mutanabi's victims, as I
was belatedly informed about it. Our Ministry is extremely disorganized.
The Ministry's public relations are in a state of chaos. Its activities
clearly lack coordination, and creativity. It is always passive in its
reactions to important events, such as the tragedy of al-Mutanabi Street.
Intellectuals and the educated class in general criticize the Ministry
publicly and daily. The Ministry “lives in a valley and culture and
intellectuals live in another valley”.
At 9.30, another phase of the elections took place. Four archivists (3
female and one male) were elected for the Council of Representatives by
their colleagues.
I was informed by my secretary that on Monday morning Miss. Kh was
kidnapped near the town of Shahraban (al-Muqdadiah). Shahraban is one of
the hottest areas within the dangerous province of al-Diyalah. Luckily, she
was released on the same day. We got the information directly from her
niece. Miss. Kh is the INLA's oldest librarian. She is almost 63 years old,
and has BA in library Science. She will retire in July 2007. She lives
alone in her flat in al-Waziriyah (just 1 km away from the INLA). Her
sister died last year.
The Associated Press's reporter arrived later. We talked for 35 minutes
before he and his camera crew left the building.
At 11.30, the exchange of fire intensified, as US helicopters began to fly
over our area. Thirty minutes later, US Jet fighters joined in, making a
lot of noises. Our staff did not pay attention to what was going on in al-
Jamhoriyah and al-Fadhel, as they got used to it. My mother-in-Law called
me to see if I was OK. She was worried about me even though her house is
just 600 meters away from the centre of the fighting.
The helicopters and the fighters were flying low, when the INLA's left the
building, heading home.
Some friends contacted me concerning my interview with the American TV
Station, PBS. I do not usually inform the Ministry of Culture of my
interviews. Some Ministers force their directors not to talk to
journalists, especially foreign journalists. Some others demand their
directors to get special permissions from them, before talking to the
media. One of my colleagues, who left Iraq permanently a few months ago,
after being threatened and given hard time by his superior, informed me
that he had to ask his Minister for a permission before he could talk to
the media, and that the Minister used to send one of his own men to
director's office to monitor him when talking to journalists.

The head of our guards sent me his report, mentioning that the fighting
broke out again in the areas surrounding the INLA's building. The fighting
between the National Guards and the armed groups lasted until 23.00. It was
followed by sporadic exchanges of fire.

Wednesday, 28 March
On my way to the office, I picked up the internet engineer. She worked for
about three hours and thirty minutes to repair the internet system. At the
end, she failed to restore the internet service, but she promised to come
back on Sunday to try and fix it.
The situation was intense, security speaking. There were sporadic exchanges
of fire just across the road.
I was surprised to learn that Miss Kh showed up to work. At once, I decided
to see her in her office just to make sure if she was fine. She told me the
whole kidnapping story. She was kidnapped along with 3 men, including the
driver, and 6 women. The kidnappers searched and then looted the
passengers, men and women. Miss. KH said that 950.000 Dinars (US$650) was
taken from her handbag. The kidnappers beat up the driver and his male
passengers, before releasing the women. They hijacked the car and took the
three men with them to the surrounding hills.
Miss Kha has always been a very strong lady, liberated and extremely big
headed. She prefers to work alone in her tiny office. She talks only to a
numbered people, especially old librarians and archivists, she has worked
with them for long years. Every time we see each other, we start the
conversation with the same words and in the same manner. She says: Mister,
do you have a minute. I reply: good morning to you too, KH. She says: sorry
I forgot to greet you! I reply: it does not matter, as long as you are not
angry. Then, she will complain about her deteriorating health in general
and her failing eyesight, in particular. She receives medical treatment
regularly. However, she never says that her conditions have improved! She
ends the conversation with the same old question: why do not you leave and
return to Europe? I give her the same answer: how can I abandon nice people
like you?

I held meeting with the new head of the Public Relations. We discussed
several issues, including strengthening INLA's relations with important
NGO's, such as the Iraqi Writers Union, Iraqi Journalists Union, and
increasing our cultural activities. We decided to make some radical
changes, such as increasing the staff of the Department. We decided that I
would hold a meeting with all the staff of the Department some time next
week, with the aim of redefining their tasks and roles.
I sent a collection of rare books and the latest books, which I have been
keeping in my office, to the College of Administration in order to be
displayed at its Special Book-Exhibition/Fair. I also sent two experienced
librarians to represent the INLA in the Exhibition/Fair.
Our neighborhood has become a main target for mortar attacks, since the
Americans turned a local police station into a military base for them. In
early evening, the neighborhood was hit several times.
The security situation improved to some extent in al-Jamhoriyah Street and
al-Dadhel.

Thursday, 29 March
Usually on Thursdays, the traffic will not be heavy. This Thursday was not
an exception. There were sporadic exchanges of fires. US planes were flying
low in the area.
The INLA's nominated five women went to the Melia-Mansur Hotel, where the
Ministry threw a party for all nominated women from its directorates. The
Minister is expected to award the nominated women. Only God knows why the
Ministry of Culture celebrated the Woman Day 19 days late!! I was not able
to go, as I had prior arrangements. Our five ladies were not happy at all
that I was not going with them to the Party.
The Associated Press photographer accompanied me during my visit to several
departments, including the Restoration, Computer, Cataloguing and
Micrographic Departments.
A new issue of the INLA's monthly publication Rawafid Thaqafiyah was
printed. It will be sent to different cultural and educational institutions.

The members of the Special Committee submitted their report to me. I
carefully read the report. I decided to accept all the 58 people whom the
Committee selected to work in the INLA.
I learnt after I returned home that the neighborhood was shelled by
mortars. As a result, one of the Ministry of Culture’s mini-buses was hit
directly. Its driver and the passengers were sent to the nearest hospital.

Friday, 30 March
I was a lone in the flat, as my wife took our son with her to visit her
parents. I spent most of the day writing and reading. My secretary rang my
at 9.30, informing me that her son was arrested by a US army unit based in
al-Karradah. Her son was arrested with some of his close friends on
Thursday night. Fifty minutes later, she called me to say that her son and
his friends were all released without a charge. My sister called me from
Sweden. She wanted to make sure that everybody was OK.

At 20.00, a friend of mine rang me, saying that Ib., who is one of my
closest friends, disappeared without a sign. He left his sister's house at
11.00, and did not come back. My other friends and I tried to call him on
his two cell phones. The first phone was switched off, whereas the second
one was not. but no one answered our calls on the second cell phone. At
20.45, I found out that the second cell phone was switched off.

Saturday, 31 March
From 8.00, one of my friends and I began to search for our missing friend.
We went from one area to another and from one police station to another,
until we found him. We were quiet relief to see him alive, although he was
arrested by the police. Clearly, it was a question of a mistaken identity.
I was extremely exhausted when going home, and I slept quiet early.