Re: Art's place in organization studies

"Hatch, Mary Jo" <[log in to unmask]>

Hatch, Mary Jo

Sun, 8 Apr 2007 15:15:26 -0400

text/plain

You are right Michael. You provide a way to see the beauty in even the most posivitistic styles of research. I find it easier to do this with leadership practice for some reason (love?), seeing in it the ideas that artists have sensitized me to. I need to do this with research as well, which I guess I have begun already by looking into painting methods as a means to grasp the differences between research methodologies. But in this I still hold onto the divisions, as you rightly point out. In future I shall see what happens if I give that up and hope for a more peaceful or at least graceful/grateful state. Thanks for the pointer!

________________________________

From: Aesthetics, Creativity, and Organisations Research Network on behalf of Elmes, Michael B.
Sent: Sun 4/8/2007 12:58 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Art's place in organization studies

Thinking about Daved, Mary Jo and Steve's thoughtful comments over the past
two days...I wonder to what degree the lines we draw to distinguish between
what "we" do (as ACORNers) and what "they" do as scholars who operate from a
more scientific perspective are illusive and serve other purposes. I am
thinking here about poet, Gary Snyder's comments about nature and where to
find it (he said, look to the plants sprouting up in the cracks of the
sidewalk rather than the magnificent forests of the national parks). Maybe
there is more art in the way "mainstream" MOS research is conducted that
anybody cares to admit - sure there are constraints and epistemological
differences as well. But there is a lot of art I believe in a rigorous double
bind study (and considerable rigor in the kind of artistic experimentation
that Daved described). Which then raises the question of why we see, believe
in, and act on these lines as if they were real...I would argue that in the
mutually constitutive world of resistance and identity, that we need
mainstream MOS research to define who we are and what we are about in the
academy. That is a good thing I believe and ultimately a good thing for the
academy.  Expelled from the AOM meeting, perhaps it inspires us to have these
conversations with ourselves and those mainstreamers on the other
side...indeed, in the spirit of Easter, perhaps it enables us to rise up like
seeds scattering in the wind.

Hope everyone has had is or having a lovely Easter.....

Michael Elmes