Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Responses to what our Website Says

"A.D.M.Rayner" <[log in to unmask]>

Group concerned that academia should seek and promote wisdom <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 30 Mar 2007 15:27:41 +0100

text/plain

Dear Nick,

Many thanks. I am relieved that you found my comments helpful, and glad also
to have some indications concerning your real feelings about the original
intention of the FoW project and the discussions that have unfolded.

I was especially interested to hear about your sadness concerning what you
perceive as the 'rationalist-romanticist split'. Healing this apparent gulf
has also very much my own life project, perhaps not least because of
witnessing it between my own parents (rationalist father - romanticist
mother). I never saw any real need for it, and have spent much of my life
trying to show - in my artwork and lyrical writing as well as in my
scientific research - why there is no need for it, and why indeed the two
are complementary, not in opposition. I sometimes talk about the need to
'dissolve the clot between head and heart', which is very close to your own
1976 expression. My recognition of this need led me to develop, with a few
others, my ideas about 'inclusionality' and 'natural inclusion', in much the
same way that you developed 'aim-oriented rationality'. I have suspected
from the outset that there could be much in common between our respective
approaches, and that there could be much scope for mutual strengthening,
coming from our very different backgrounds and those of others on the list.
I also feel there is much in common between AOR and Jack Whitehead's 'action
research' and 'living educational theory', and hope that this commonality
could be explored.

So, why hasn't FOW worked thus far in healing the gulf - and why indeed do
some of the discussions seem to have accentuated it? Partly I think this has
much to do with the 'Catch 22' that Ian speaks about. I suspect that much
also has to do with language. As I have admitted on several occasions, I
really do struggle to find a form of words that avoids 'closure by the steel
trap mind'. I do think that part of the problem with the website is that
your effort to provide succinct expression actually does elicit such
closure - or the appearance that you yourself are expressing such closure.
The fact that you seem to exclude some kinds of discussion - and regard
these as 'not relevant to FOW' - also does on occasion seem inconsistent
with your own values - what Jack Whitehead refers to as a 'living
contradiction' (from which he himself has learned much).

Perhaps the most succinct way I can express this is to suggest that somehow
the website does need to be 'warmed up'.

And there I'd better stop, for now, hoping that this also is helpful.

Warmest

Alan