FISH-TECHNICAL  March 2007

FISH-TECHNICAL March 2007

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Megalithic Portal: New embedded maps, Postcode search and more

Andy Burnham <[log in to unmask]>

Technical advisory panel to the Forum on Information Standards in Heritage." <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 25 Mar 2007 20:50:32 +0100

text/plain

Some new features currently under test, including embedded Yahoo Maps
and GeoRSS.

On any of our site location pages ('site pages'):
Look for the links about half way down that say
NEW: View this page with an embedded Yahoo Map
NEW: Download or link to a GeoRSS feed of these sites

As we add more and more locations based on information gleaned from
archaeology news feeds I think this is an excellent way to bring to life
rather dry news items from the other side of the world and give them
some geographic context. Tracking down the locations of sites in the
news based on sometimes vague reports is very challenging and fun, and
more help to do this is always welcome.

What GeoRSS can be made to do is that A.N.Other web sites could have a
drop-down box saying: 'View the 25 nearest sites on the Megalithic
Portal'. And vice versa the Portal could have a reciprocal 'View the 25
nearest sites on A.N.Other'. Also things like 'mashups' of maps become
possible featuring data from various different sources on the web
overlaid. There is more on how to use the new GeoRSS and other ways to
link geographically in the 'Portal Talking Shop' Forum.

I am using Yahoo rather than Google maps as they hook very nicely into
the GeoRSS, Google maps may be coming in the future although they are
rather more complex to make work properly. I think these Yahoo maps are
pretty good.

I have also just now created an international Postcode/Zip code search
function.

Just enter a UK, German or US zip code into the search box at the
top-right of any page.

UK post code can be either the two part code (SW1 1NN) or just the first
part (SW1)

German post codes can be D- or DE- followed by a number, eg. D-01234

US zip code is just a number so just put that in and if it's a valid zip
code then you'll be transported there straight away! If anyone can point
me towards postcode to long/lat data for other countries I will add them
too.

As you will see, the Megalithic Portal is not just European in scope but
now truly international, with active contributors from the USA, Middle
East, India and South Korea.

More new developments are coming soon. I will end by sending many thanks
to the team of volunteer admins who now handle the day to day running of
the Portal virtually unaided by me, this is what gives me the time to be
able to take a step back and work on longer term improvements such as
these.
Cheers,
Andy

The Megalithic Portal http://www.megalithic.co.uk
"worth a visit" -  British Archaeology Magazine
"excellent site" - Archaeology in Europe
"All I can say is 'wow'...amazing" - Why Don't You Blog
An independent web site funded totally by our Online Shop
http://www.megalithic.co.uk/shop