Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: pre-sub/Sally J/Gill

Colin Dewar <[log in to unmask]>

The Pennine Poetry Works <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 15 Feb 2007 18:51:52 -0000

text/plain

Don't worry about something being lost in the lead in. This one was stalled
anyway and I just hoped that by gathering comments, it would get the process
re-started. If not for that thought I would have left it stalled.

However, it raises the question of statements of intent in poetry. W.
Wordsworth's Prelude is an example. I prefer it to the Excursion which was
the thing in itself. Then there is the beginning of Paradise Lost by J.
Milton, which I also like, even if I don't agree with the metaphysics. I'm
not aware of another starting sentence as long, from, "Of Man's first
disobedience... all the way to.... that with no middle flight intends to
soar above the Ionian mount while it pursues things unattempted yet in prose
or rhyme." Then there's Yeats's Lake Isle of Innesfree in which he tells us
that he's going to get up and do all sorts of things. After that there are
general poems in the future tense, like Bob's one subbed a while back about
a fellow on a train.

But I suppose all the poems about the future pale in comparison to those
reflecting on the past. There are very few that look at both past and
future. In Ikebana (Japanese flower arranging), the arranger may have three
stems of a single species, one in bud, one in perfect bloom and one decayed,
to capture the passage of time.

I agree that the best poems are heralded by intense thought (if that's what
you meant Sally). In a way it's not conscious space that matters but
unconscious space. You can always divide up a day into five minute slots and
put all kinds of things in for conscious completion, like brushing shoes,
but the unconscious mind is not so easily deceived, and sticks to just one,
or at most two or three things at a time. If the conscious mind can project
it into the unconscious, then you've got a chance of a poem, but if not, in
my experience at least it's inclined to stall.

Colin