Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Sickness absence

"N. Rostami" <[log in to unmask]>

Occupational Health mailing list <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 15 Feb 2007 16:32:22 -0000

text/plain

Pete,
It is very difficult to prove that he has fiddled the system. In going after
this, there are no guarantees that this employer will be able to achieve
what you suggest they should ideally do so. I find that these sorts of
scenarios rise in organisations that the employers have no clear up-to-date
policies and are not prepared to be flexible when it would cost them no
extra do so so.If you delve further into it , you may even find that there
have been some interpersonal communication failures.
In my opinion, OH, in this instance, has the duty to manage and monitor this
employee's progress as if dealing with a genuine case.As you have no solid
evidence that it isnot.In doing so, OH will continue giving to the employer
the updates of the employee's progress after liaising with his GP and other
multidisciplinary health professionals involved in his treatment.The rest
will be up to the managers. You can suggest that the employee is assessed by
an OHP, but again it is not guaranteed that any more significant
recommendation could come out of this. OH is not doing the managers job for
them but advises them that it may not be easy to prove that he is fiddling
and therefore it may be the wrong route to take in setting out to disprove
the guy and finding a solution. However, I would go further by advising the
employers if they could possibly consider granting him his request for a
sabbatical which would mean that he has the choice of coming off the
sickness absence. It may be that the employee will no longer accept this
option either but at least he was offered it. Otherwise, he will most likely
remain off sick for the duration of the time that he had originally planned
and can even refuse to see OH for saying that anything to do with this job
is giving him more stress , he therefore wants to avoid coming in on site!
Of course, the employer has the option of dismissing him on the grounds of
misconduct but will they have enough evidence to present to a tribunal when
the time comes? That is something for them to explore with the help of their
legal advisors. I am not sure if I would ever be in a position to advise an
employer to pay for a detective to gather evidence, it kind of doesn't go
with my views for an effective OH role. Then again, one must never say
never!!!!!!