AACORN  February 2007

AACORN February 2007

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: leader and artship . . . and White Hydro

Daved Barry <[log in to unmask]>

Daved Barry <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 5 Feb 2007 14:39:42 -0000

text/plain

Kent, this is helpful--thanks for clarifying your thoughts (and for posting
them!). So as I understand you, you're saying that we need a common way of
evaluating and critiquing mgmt-as-art, one that resonates with art discourse
and art evaluation practice? And that the 'event' might be a source of
common ground? If so, I agree--see below. Also, can you say more about what
you mean by 'the event'? And why 'event' and not something else (say
'product') seems like a good way to go?

Schrat, I agree with Kent that you can have manager-artists (or artful
managers . . . or more likely artful leaders), although I'm not sure I agree
with him in saying that their 'tool' is "art". Their practice might be
artistic, but I think of tools as something employed in the service of that
practice. For managers, the tools are things like how they speak, their
'looks' (gazes and probably dress), their measurement and calculative
devices, and their stories. And their medium/material is often the concept,
the idea.

Here's an example of what I think is organizational/management art (told to
me by Eirik Irgens). There was a manager who was given the task of turning
around a very dirty hydroelectric plant in Norway--morale was low, everyone
was trying to leave, and there was talk of shutting the plant down. The
place was literally littered and grimy. There was also no money . . . a
creative constraint as it turns out. Faced with this, the manager didn't
give the employees a pep talk, didn't coerce, didn't try to find more
resources . . . instead, he had everyone paint the whole facility white,
including the floors and machinery. This of course made everything look
different--'new perspectives' were everywhere. Lots of 'happily ever after'
things happened, including the plant becoming some kind of model facility.
It was an extraordinarily simple act with huge consequences.

I call this art inasmuch as it feels like the managerial equivalent of
Duchamp's Fountain (where the art product is as much the museum as it is the
urinal). It's not just artful--it's art; or at least it compares well with
other things labeled art. It meets many of the criteria used to critique and
evaluate art--it's elegant (there's a large effect with almost no cost),
simple yet profound, funny and fun while still being serious, direct and
indirect, heavy and light, and conceptually rich (it echoes out in all kinds
of conceptual directions). I don't think the manager had any art training,
and I doubt he was trying to produce an artwork . . . but as an almost
'ready made' or piece of social sculpture, he did. I especially like how he
used the whole organization and its physicalities as his medium.

A question is whether the manager is an artist if he is not consciously
following art discourse? If I follow art theory as I understand it, I would
say yes--I evaluate the work and can say it stacks up to other artworks I
know and love. But if I think of art as a trainable practice and set of
knowledges, then maybe I have to say no--mayber this project's resemblence
to art is just that--a simulacrum or perhaps a kind of folk art. The problem
is that if we go down this second road, managerial art as folk art, then
we're stuck in the same old space we've always been in--that you have to go
to art school and consciously/overtly say that you're producing/selling
artworks to get the 'art label'.

This brings me/us to the whole question of art education and Nancy's piece
in Academy of Mgmt. Learning & Education--if to be an artist means
consciously practicing using artworld theory, then we in the world of
business schools are looking at an enormous vacuum. We hardly have any
managerial art theory of our own (of course the field of mgmt and org
studies has always thieved, but in this case not much has been stolen), and
what's equally as bad, few managerial ways of teaching anyone along art
school lines; yes there are courses like Nancy's, Steve Taylor's, and Rob
Austin's but these are tiny drops in a very large and empty bucket,
especially when it comes to using managerial rather than fine art examples.

Not so long ago I asked Schrat (who's professionally trained both as an
economist and an artist) whether we could transfer art education over to
mgmt. education. I was met with a great deal of sucking in of the breath and
explosive silences. In other words, it's a big question, and one that brings
us straight back to Kent's call for arts-based evaluative criteria and
theory. Such an education--Pierre's "Master of Business Arts"--would require
a lot of managerial art appreciation (which would mean finding numerous
instances of managerial art), different theories of art practice, and a lot
of art projects that used organizational materials and mediums (e.g.
strategic art projects, leadership art, motivational art, org design,
operations, economic modeling, and of course, creative accounting). Well,
perhaps one day . . . the Business Art Academy (BAAhhhh?). Daved