INT-BOUNDARIES  January 2007

INT-BOUNDARIES January 2007

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Cameroon: Nigeria Boundary Demarcation Continues Mid-February

Maurice Mendelson QC <[log in to unmask]>

Maurice Mendelson QC <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 31 Jan 2007 21:57:51 +0000

text/plain

I do not want to engage in polemic, and I must confess at the outset to
having been one of Cameroon's counsel.  But I hope that my account of the
land boundary aspects of the case in 75 British Year Book of International
Law (2004), 223-47 is an impartial account (and even some of my opponents
have been kind enough to say that it is). It is quite detailed, and is
confined to what the parties argued and what the International Court of
Justice decided. In brief, Cameroon won on Bakassi and the Lake Chad area,
and also on some of the disputed points on the intervening boundary, though
Nigeria won on more of those. So far as the maritime boundary is concerned,
Cameroon defeated Nigeria's attempt to argue that a agreed (in 2 treaties)
boundary line which continued to a little beyond the 12 mile limit was
invalid.  Cameroon's success on sovereignty over Bakassi is also relevant
to the offshore boundary and maritime resources, which DOES include
hydrocarbons.  It also succeeded in establishing that the boundary beyond
the treaty line should start at a point of equidistance.  On the other
hand, Nigeria was successful (some might say inevitably, in view of the
offshore geography) in establishing that the maritime boundary beyond the
agreed limit would be determined by equidistance.   For the sake of
completeness, it should be added that Cameroon failed in its attempt to
recover damages for wrongful damage during the Nigerian occupation of
Bakassi etc., essentially because it had not discharged its evidentiary
burden, in the Court's view.  Nigeria's counter-claim on the same point
also failed.

Best wishes,

Maurice Mendelson

At 21:08 31/01/07, [log in to unmask] wrote:
>Dear colleagues,
>Perhaps some enduring myths about the Cameroon Nigeria ICJ Judgment and
>the implications of this have to be dispelled at some point. In this
>little piece of press report kindly shared with us by Andi lies many of
>the myths (particularly in the last paragraph). I will quote the pertinent
>parts.
>"The Hague had handed down a binding ruling in 2002 to settle a
>territorial dispute in which Nigerian troops and police often clashed with
>their Cameroonian" The dispute as submitted by Cameroon to the court is
>not essentially a territorial dispute but as the name of the case on the
>ICJ list suggests  it involved a Land and maritime dispute with
>territorial and boundary aspects. Indeed only a small Peninsula at the
>southernmost part of the territory of both states constituted a
>territorial dispute. The boundary relations between the two states has
>traditionally been impressively cordial as far as countries that share
>about a 1800 kilometer long boundary can go. The affected population on
>both sides were at relative peace and largely lived as friendly neighbours
>sometimes even in absolute disregard for the colonial era imposed
>artificial borders. The few flash points nearly all related to the
>territorial question over Bakassi peninsula.
>
>"especially around the oil-rich Bakassi Peninsula":
>That the Bakassi Peninsula is 'oil rich' is one of the greatest urban
>myths of the last century and survives well on the pages of the newspapers
>of written by half informed journalists. Nigeria, which until a few months
>ago had absolute control over this piece of territory has over 30 years
>experience in the exploitation of oil resources in its territories and is
>one of the top ten highest producers of hydrocarbons. It is highly
>unlikely that it would have an oil rich Peninsula that it has not been
>investigated and never exploited. The area in question is simply not 'oil
>rich'. At any rate the Nigerian state has always maintained that its
>interest in the Bakassi territory is based on its important responsibility
>to protect its citizens and their ancestral rights. It was always
>maintained that mineral rights if any was of no importance to the dispute
>but rather it saw its duty to continue maintaining the administration of
>the people and providing for their basic needs. As a consequence of this
>the so called Green Tree agreement which provides for the handover of
>Bakassi to Cameroon contains a limited period of continuing administration
>by Nigeria.
>
>"The ruling was in favour of Cameroon ...".
>The ruling of the ICJ was perhaps in favour of Cameroon only in respect of
>the Bakassi Peninsular by consequence of which Cameroon has apparently
>gained an estimated population of 200000 Nigerians who are apparently not
>happy with the judgment. Whether this is a modern day Phyrric victory is
> [...]

Maurice Mendelson, Q.C.
Blackstone Chambers Barristers
Blackstone House
Temple, London EC4Y 9BW,
England.

Tel. +44 20 7583 1770; fax +4420 7822 7350; email
website www.blackstonechambers.com

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may be confidential and legally
privileged. This e-mail is intended to be read only by the addressee. If you
are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any review,
dissemination or copying of this e-mail is prohibited and that privilege has
not been waived. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify
the sender by replying by email or by telephone and
then delete the e-mail.