CRB-HE  January 2007

CRB-HE January 2007

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Higher education institutions structures and roles - accountability for CRB activities

Robert Dawson <[log in to unmask]>

CRB-HE <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 19 Jan 2007 13:08:27 +0000

text/plain

Hi

At Chester the VC is the lead_signatory but I act in that capacity for students & the Director of HR for staff issues, although we do share views on policy etc.  The VC as lead needs to approve and sign applications for new countersignatories and receives some letters from the CRB which he then passes to me..

My advice would be to either leave it as it is and set up an internal agreement that the most senior countersignatoory in HR oversees their process.  I would not set up another registered body as this goes against the current CRB policy of reducing RB's

You should refer to the CRB Code of Practice for what the Lead should do:

"Applicants for registration are required to nominate a Lead Countersignatory. The Lead Countersignatory will be required to countersign the initial application for registration. The Lead Countersignatory should be a senior person within the organisation who has a measure of management responsibility for those making recruitment decisions. For example, a human resources director would be a suitable nominee although, clearly, many organisations may not have an obvious equivalent. The Lead Countersignatory will not necessarily be expected to countersign Disclosure applications with the frequency of other countersignatories.
The Lead Countersignatory will be the Bureau’s principal point of contact on all matters connected with the registration and use of the Disclosure service. The exception is that results of individual Disclosure applications will be sent to the individual who countersigned the application. A Lead Countersignatory must be assigned at all times. If a Lead Countersignatory leaves that position, a new Lead Countersignatory should be nominated as soon as possible. A person who is the only countersignatory in an organisation (including a person who employs others in the course of a business and who is seeking registration) may countersign his/her own application for registration. He/She should indicate that this is the case in the application."

I think that the SUMS guidance is slightly heavy handed in this matter.

Rob

----------
Thank you and kind regards

Rob Dawson
Institutional Compliance Officer
University of Chester
Parkgate Road
Chester
CH1 4BJ

Old College 204
Tel: 01244 511610
Fax: 01244 392808
http://www.chester.ac.uk/

>>> "Smith, Geoff" <[log in to unmask]> 19/01/2007 12:27:25 >>>
At Sheffield Hallam University I am the lead countersignatory and I am based in the University Secretariat which has a governance/compliance role. Similarly we are responsible for data protection and freedom of information which also covers staff and students. This seems to work reasonably well. Clearly it is necessary to liaise closely with HR, Student and Academic Services etc.

Regards
Geoff

Geoff Smith
Assistant Secretary