JiscMail Logo

Help for PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

Message:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Topic:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Author:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

LISTSERV Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Home

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Home

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER  October 2006

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER October 2006

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Log In

Get Password

Get Password

Re: What kind of lifeworld are we creating for each other here?

Susan Goff <[log in to unmask]>

BERA Practitioner-Researcher <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 26 Oct 2006 12:24:30 +1000

text/plain

Hi Brian
Thanks for this.
I read a kind of "appreciative" frame in your approaches... I like
appreciative inquiry and agree that it shifts the energies of change
environments, and I also share the concerns that the lack of critique (which
I think is different to problem solving) means that systemic liabilities can
go unaddressed - I need more experience in the practice to really get some
handle on it. I too took up water colour painting for a while - it is such a
mysterious and dynamic form of expression. Thanks for digressing!

Regards the criterion that you articulate, (thank you - I think time needs
to be given for us to know these things, and also collaborative learning
within our immediate communities that are exercising such judgements, so
that we can develop the distinctions we need to make regards "what has
changed" for example.

If we take the current discussion in point, some of us felt that it was not
getting very far as they saw it through their specific distinction making
lenses, whereas others were seeing much that was changing through different
lenses. We did not have a chance to really communicate about this, until the
interventions of judgement were made, which in reference to Foucault's
thinking for example, illuminated the sacred that was being crossed. We
would not have felt what was being crossed so clearly, had it not been
crossed. And look at the amazing relationships that are suddenly forming
with such intimacy and courage!

So, we had to go through this "interesting time" to make a leap within the
discourse - and the form of interaction is inalienable from the emergence of
knowing that is coming about. For this reason, I am really keen not to lose
the intentions, frames, senses of power and legitimacy that were so present
to you and Peter, and others who were feeling frustrated... As I see them,
they are not just yours, but expressions of cultural truths that you carry
and that are different to the cultural truths that others carry, also
embodying forms of power and felt rights to act. Together they  make dynamic
systems with potential for transformation.

Sometimes, on the other hand, it may also be good to note that which does
not change, which remains constant, has no need to change, or remains vital
in new tones but is at core unchanged. In times of resource diminishment,
stillness, silence and absence are sometimes usefully powerful as
counter-systems to hold movement, vocality and presence. How does this sound
to you?
Susie