FRIENDSOFWISDOM-D  October 2006

FRIENDSOFWISDOM-D October 2006

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Conference, Journal & Virtual University

ian glendinning <[log in to unmask]>

Group concerned that academia should seek and promote wisdom <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 10 Oct 2006 08:05:59 -0500

text/plain

Tom, Karl,

"Too formal" no, agreed, that would be bad, but having no visible
structure is not all good either.

Freedom is defined by its limits / rules / signposts.
"Loose-Tight" structures are what we need.

I need to read Karl's specifics .... before I can say more.
Ian

On 10/10/06, Thomas Clough Daffern <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > I would also like to suggest a third idea and put another iron in the fire:
> >
> >   (3) The Virtual University:
> >
> >   The FOW could start a virtual university. This would be a free access internet site within which members of the FOW could have their own pages to offer courses to students or anyone else interested in studying ideas and fields that tend to be ignored or marginalised in mainstream universities.
> >
> >   Its purpose would not be to provide qualifications, but, instead, to offer exactly the sort of wisdom-inquiry and education that members on this list have been calling for. Some people may wish to offer courses that directly discuss wisdom and education, or wisdom and knowledge, the history of wisdom, or wisdom-inquiry, while other members may wish to offer other courses, in order to provide a diverse and pluralistic range, allowing students to explore ideas, philosophies, theories, practices, that they otherwise would not be able to. For example, while you might wish to provide courses that directly deal with the ideas and problems that you have raised, some members may well wish to relate their courses to yours, others may well wish to run courses on something else, such as Zen Buddhism, crop circles, pragmatism, inclusionality, etc.
> >   The combination would be most interesting and members could both run courses and be students on the courses of other members.
> >
> >   For example, I would quite like to run a couple of courses that would be peripheral to the main body of courses on wisdom-inquiry, but I think that are related and would be of interest to some students.
> >
> >   One would be on The History and Philosophy of Anarchism. I would provide archives of classic texts, essays on those texts, including my some of my own, some links to other archives, and, run the course by posting essays on the classic texts, receiving and critically discussing students essay submissions about those essays and putting the better ones in the archive of essays. This would in many respects take the quite standard form of a correspondence course, but rapidly would generate a dialectical life of its own. Another course I would like to offer would be on the Theory and Practice of Permaculture. This would take the form of a workshop where I would post an archive of theoretical and practical information, but, for a number of years, I have been planning to start my own permaculture project and, all going to plan, I shall be able to when I go back to South America next year. A core part of the course would be an ongoing journal -- a practical diary -- discussing !
the