Re: what makes a professional?

Sarah Taylor <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 14 Aug 2006 16:33:52 +0100

text/plain

I have been following the debates on LIS-CILIP recently with interest. I agree with Frances' list of benefits gained from other organisation, and agree too that these are all things that CILIP could be looking at.

However, I think one of the most important points that Frances makes is that CILIP could provide  employment advise, especially in light of HERA, which colleagues in higher education I am sure would agree with. I do feel that CILIP should be representative of the library profession, and that does not just mean enabling access to databases, journals or producing their own literature, but that it should represent us! And by represented I mean taking our concerns about pay, status etc and taking them to the very highest - and public - levels.

I also believe that you get out what you put in, and I have always been very grateful for the advice that I have been given when I have asked for it. But the point is that I had to ask for this help. What I would really like is to be represented.

And one other thing, how about a base somewhere in the north. Manchester, perhaps ;-) Or maybe that really is wishful thinking...

Sarah

Sarah Taylor (née Kaufman)

Assistant Librarian

Electronic Services Development Team/e-space

Manchester Metropolitan University

Minshull House

47 - 49 Chorlton Street

Manchester

M1 3FY

(0161) 247 6115

http://www.mmu.ac.uk/library

Before acting on this email or opening

any attachments you should read the

Manchester Metropolitan University's

email disclaimer available on its website

http://www.mmu.ac.uk/emaildisclaimer

>>> Frances Hendrix <[log in to unmask]> 14/08/2006 16:25:51 >>>

Just thinking about Jens points, what do we (or me rather), want form a

good membership organisation.

I have always been a member of Cilip, although cant remember when I was

asked to prove this before being offered a job (and I have worked in all

sectors). Currently what do I value:-

the daily news email

Update

in the past:-

meetings

training (but agree the cost for some and the distance may be problem).,

why haven't they (Cilip), looked at e learning and distance learning?

meeting people

particpation in events

What have I got from other organisations that I value:-

Institute of Directors

a great place to meet people and have coffee

a first rate legal service

top notch speakers at high profile interesting and current topics

interesting contacts at meetings

What else could Cilip offer:-

great place to met an have coffee in central London, but not as it is

now

Legal and trade unison type advise for those of us who are employers,

for those of us who are employees

top rate speakers

more contact with people in different sectors, s better networking on a

much wider canvas

much much higher profile and better advocacy

more strength regionally and more support

a better more streamlined and more effective Council

email updates like I get from demos etc on policy issues

an easier to use and more sophisticated web site

less a feeling of introvertness, secrecy and irritation at its more

troublesome members

more opportunities for newer members or non members of the profession to

get involved and be given opportunities to be 'on something's without

having to make some sort of a name first.

more light herded fun about some aspects

that it had much more clout