CRISIS-FORUM  August 2006

CRISIS-FORUM August 2006

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: The CRISIS is still the the Collapse of Common Sense

Aubrey Meyer <[log in to unmask]>

Aubrey Meyer <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 26 Aug 2006 12:58:44 +0100

text/plain

It is not in any way that I can ascertain 'helpful' to take refuge in
making/quoting comments like this. ENRON bosses were charged and found
guilty of fraudulent accounting. Carbon accounting [envisaging profits
from ENRON-provided permits for carbon offests] was a part of this fraud.

To simply assert that CSR is the equivalent of legal because making
financial profit is the law and to accept that, is to say that the law
is an ass [what's new] and saying this does not lead to correction of
error. If it were/is true, the law would/will need to be changed. If the
law is to be changed, we have to put forward an improved law and before
this we will obviously now have to deal with carbon accounting in the
light of the distinction that follows: -

There are two forms of carbon accounting: -

  1. zero-carbon accounting, unambigous - *absolutely *no emissions
     from fossil fuel et al - defensible, if difficult.

  2. carbon-neutral accounting, a 'net' calculation riddled with
     ambiguity and unquantifiable benefit. It is presented as
     *relatively* no emissions from fossil fuel et al but is almost
     invariably indefensible where 'ease' is the co-effcient of
     ineffectual practice and probably sentient 'cheating' as well.

Before the: -

  1. latest explanations of psychologically frail scientists are found and
  2. the rather fanciful-sounding 'choice' between reform and
     revolution is posed

. . . my question [originally to George Marshall] to any is the still
the same and still so far unanswered: -

Since the 'literacy' of understanding the 'carbon/climate-problem[s]' -
developed, 'psychological' or not - apparently has the same
petrification effect as looking at face of Medusa, what
methodology/application of numeracy and accounting is relevant to
informing and guiding the 'solution' to the climate dilemma?

The solution unavoidably has be generated faster than we generate the
problem. So the question is how do we set out the basis of measuring that?

Aubrey