COMMUNITYPSYCHUK  August 2006

COMMUNITYPSYCHUK August 2006

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: service user involvement and survivor action conference - keeping it critical

Mark Burton <[log in to unmask]>

The UK Community Psychology Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 17 Aug 2006 20:21:09 +0100

text/plain

I share Bob's view here - the critical task is one of construction, and
that typically means building with shoddy materials, using inadequate
tools, to construct something better - while being fully aware of the
limitations, and rejecting those materials and tools that are too
inadequate, dangerous or that give misleading information.
Community psychology emerged in a set of particular contexts - hence its
diversity. It arose in opposition to other forms of psychology, hence
its typically critical (but also constructive) orientation. However that
particularity to context also suggests that we might also productively
talk of societal psychology, really social psychology, materialist
social psychology, and so on instead of the overworked labels community
and critical psychology (or clinical too?) which are over-saturated with
meanings. Just as we want to oppose the error of individualism we might
also want to be wary of the communitarian error too (that ignores the
wider social system). The challenge is to be able to engage in
progressive ways (no apologies for that term) with distress and
oppression whether we find it at a personal, community or social system
level.

I write as one who trained and practised as a clinical psychologist but
always felt uncomfortable there and who therefore always sought other
ways of working - with the result that I've ended up as a bureaucrat in
a large public service. There aren't easy answers and obvious paths.