LIS-PROFESSION  July 2006

LIS-PROFESSION July 2006

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Submission to the CILIP Governance Review

Malcolm Weston <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 24 Jul 2006 15:25:41 +0100

text/plain

David Law and his team are looking for CILIP members to  contribute to the
review process. Views are solicited via a feedback form on the CILIP
website which can be accessed by clicking on "Governance review" on the
CILIP homepage  or by following this link

http://www.cilip.org.uk/aboutcilip/governancereview/

The preferred timeframe for receipt of contributions is by Friday 18 August
2006

Given the concerns expressed in earlier emails about CILIP ignoring
postings to this list.I suggest that any views are posted both on the CILIP
website using the official form ( to ensure that they are included in the
review process) and also to this list.

Malcolm K Weston
URS Corporation

             Frances Hendrix
             <frances@LASERFOU
             NDATION.ORG.UK>                                            To
             Sent by:                  [log in to unmask]
             Chartered Library                                          cc
             and Information
             Professionals                                         Subject
             <LIS-CILIP@JISCMA         Re: Submission to the CILIP
             IL.AC.UK>                 Governance Review

             22/07/2006 13:17

             Please respond to
              Frances Hendrix
             <frances@LASERFOU
              NDATION.ORG.UK>

It is very useful to be able to comment on the Review being undertaken by
Derek Law and his team, and I hoe the flow of information continues, and
that views are sought form the membership.

I was a Council member some years ago., I have also served on an Academic
Board and an Academic Council, was a non executive director of
Ufi/LearnDirect for 5 years., was Chief Executive of Laser for 12 years
reporting to a Board of trustees and currently have a Board of Trustees
responsible for the Laser Foundation.I was also on the Board of trustees
for a local Community group from its inception until it was established.

I feel therefore that I probably have as much experience as many of what it
means to report to and and serve a board of trustees as well as serve as a
trustee.

I agree with many of Tony's points. I cannot recall when I was appointed a
National Councillor of any trustee type training., there was no requirement
for me to display and specific skills as a Council member which enhanced
those and supported those of the CE and his senior staff. ANY non executive
post advertised these days (and they all are open to competition), states
what skills and experience they are particularly looking for., as the post
of trustee is NOT to run the organisation, but to steer it and support the
paid staff,and frequently the skills required include strategic
management., financial acumen and experience, HR and marketing. Primarily
the Board of Directors?trustees have an overall and top priority for
financial viability, and to carry pout this function they should understand
finance at the level the company is engaged in, be able to read and
understand accounts and balance sheets and be able to ask relevant and
searching questions.

Duties and descriptions of functions are laid down in a number of documents
some form the Charity Commission and others form such as Institute of
Directors.New Trustees of the Laser Foundation were given copies of the
documents as well as induction into the way things worked at Laser. this
was very much the case when I joined Ufi.

The role of the Board normally is to oversee and approve the strategy of
the organisation,and to ask searching questions, to demand relevant
performance information and to steer a clear path for the company.

To do all of the above Tony is right you need a smaller team with the
specific skills and the authority to get to know the  business and
understand all of the important dealings such as the financial matters.

The current Council is far too large, it cannot operate efficiently at this
level, and I am sorry to say there are too many members with a specific
interest rather than the primary one of the overall success of the company.
people are there to represent groups etc., and on a 'normal' board this is
very unlikely to be the case. Trustees may come from certain categories
such as Trades Union., The Arts., Education etc, but not to represent the
organisation of people in those categories.

One thing I set up at Laser in order to both involve the membership, but
keep the Board of Trustees a manageable size, was a 2 tier system. The
trustee, who had amongst their number people from other sectors who were
not members, and then an Advisory Committee of member representatives.Two
sets of meetings I know, but both with clear objectives.

I agree with the person who raised the matter regarding the rules of the
Charity Commission, and I also remind readers of the need (maybe even a
requirement now) of training for Trustees in pensions law.

All of Tony's points are pertinent.
It seems to me some of this could be amended very easily. I had a rule at
Laser that ALL Board papers were with members 3 weeks before the meeting.,
tabled papers were an exception and in limited cases. Actions were clearly
noted in the minutes and minutes were out within 2 weeks following the
meetings.

3 meetings a year are enough for the way Council is now operated, but is
far far too few for a proper Board of trustees, where 5 or 6 would be
required.

Currently it seems there is some sort of Board, but the communications
between it and Council are blurred, and that the role of the Council is
unclear. If as I understand the Council is made up of Trustees, then they
are the decision makers, but actually are not. The Council/Board needs to
be redefined and be THE BOARD and made up a much smaller group of people
who meet the skills and experience to run the sort of company/organization
Cilip is. The members need to know their role and be able to meet more
often, be able to understand the financial, HR and other key activities and
challenge the fulltime staff. The Council then  could act as an Advisory
Panel and as now. But no one should be a trustee without the very clear
understanding of their responsibilities and liabilities.

Cilip is a vital organisation that seems to be in trouble, lost its way,
lots support of much of the profession and has lost much of its influence.
It needs a small expert team as Trustees who can help steer a course for
the future. It needs people form outside the profession with financial
skills, membership organisation experience, marketing skills etc, as well
as members, to help it do that.

This morning I received a copy of the Annual Report of the BL for 2005/6 It
has a Board of 11!, including the Chief Executive, it has 3  committees
Audit,Remuneration and Capital projects., each of those have 3 or 4
members.New members of the board attend the National School of Government
Training for NDPBs. It meets 6 times a year. Have a look at page 34/5 to
see how its done!

Yes Cilip is a membership organisation, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't
run its affairs properly and efficiently?

I welcome this review, I urge that it is brave and makes the possible
unpalatable recommendations that are needed, and that Council are then
courageous enough to support and endorse them. We need to make Cilip
viable, fit for purpose, efficient, attractive to members and ready to face
the  future.