DASH  April 2006

DASH April 2006

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Quick Review: Hacking the Timeline - LA Pioneers Show

Cynthia Beth Rubin <[log in to unmask]>

Digital Arts Histories <[log in to unmask]>, Cynthia Beth Rubin <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 6 Apr 2006 09:55:16 -0400

text/plain

Hi All

Last week I had the pleasure of viewing the exhibition in LA "Hacking
the Timeline". For those of you who happen to be in LA in this week,
and have not had the opportunity to see this exhibition, I recommend it.

This exhibition addresses the key issues surrounding the new
aesthetic that came with the digital age.  I entered the exhibition
by the second part, where large prints by Victor Acevedo face off
those by Michael Wright. Wright's large, brash, pixely images work
best in a series, giving the viewer the opportunity to understand how
the direct language of his portraits is personalized through the
computer.  Acevedo's updated versions of his earlier works show more
complex juxtapositions of geometry and photography, with personal
references integrated into the compositions.

In them main gallery, we are treated to a 1985 video by Dave
Curlender, dating from the days when digital video was more about the
of crafting of movement from fragments of lovely visuals than the
current trends of clever editing.

David Em's series of eight smaller prints dating from 1985 - 2005,
serve as a mini-retrospective of his significant contribution to
developing the aesthetic of digital art.  Annelese Varaldiev
juxtaposes intriguing prints from 2006 to 1993. Tony Longson's  large
plexiglass 1994 works stand the test of time, as the dancing patterns
of white marks recall the computer screen of their origin.

Mixed media works by Kate Johnson (paper mache sculpture, "medical"
skeleton, plates, ipod, DVD player, monitors, etc.), Loren Denker &
Michael Masucci (video, welded steel, plexi, rocks, mannequin) and
Nina Rota (inflatable plastic, headphones, and LCD monitor) take the
computer and the computer monitor into the role of being one more
element in assemblage.  The interplay of analog and digital is
interesting, but a bit distracting in this show, where the work is
surrounded by such strong digital work.

Kate Johnson's related recent animation, playing on a two videos on a
single screen, held this viewer's attention longer than the mixed
media installation.  Inventive juxtapositions, sequential,
simultaneous, or both, are part of the aesthetic arising from the
possibilities of digital editing (yes, we could this with analog
editing, but at $150 an hour few artists lingered long enough to
experiment).  Animations by Robert Lowden and the team of Denis Brun
and Michael Masucci , reinforce the power of time based digital.

"Hacking the Timeline"  closes on this Saturday, April 8, with a
panel discussion at 2pm on John Dorr and the legacy of EZTV.  The
exhibition, curated by Michael Masussi of EZTV, demonstrates that the
digital art produced in the early to mid 1980s merits a second look.
The lesson of his efforts is well taken, and artists and curators
elsewhere should be inspired to organize similar shows.

Cynthia Beth Rubin