ACB-IT  March 2006

ACB-IT March 2006

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Solution to Interpretative comments - off the shelf

Rick Jones <[log in to unmask]>

IT working group of the Association of Clinical Biochemists <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 15 Mar 2006 07:39:45 +0000

text/plain

The answer to this overload problem is already available and has been for more than a decade. I suggest you check out Lab Wizard which is based on
technology developed by Glenn Edwards (Chemical Pathologist) for Pacific Knowledge Systems in Australia. This is an intelligent reporting system which 'learns' the comments from experts and once a body of comments is developed can run with minimal maintenance making good use of expert time and providing back-up
support for more junior staff.

I have been trying to get this into the UK for some time. The blocks are availability of modest funding to support interfacing and the fact that our IT systems are old and the suppliers are confused by CfH. The system is up and running in Holland

http://www.pks.com.au/products/lab_wizard.htm

If anyone would like to join in to try to get this technology into trial I and Glenn would be glad to hear from you as Muir Gray has suggested funding
may become available for such a trial through the DOAS programme. If a consortium were to get together on this it is likely the lab suppliers would
play ball.

Glenn has ample evidence of effectiveness of this system and it is a far cheaper short-tem option than intelligent requesting. The literature in this area is littered with reports of very expensive failure. (see my talk at CPD4IT http://www.cpd4it.org.uk  for refs - Dec 2005 meeting in Past Events) Incidentally PKS
also have clever request intervention software which an also control requesting.

 JK - could this go on your workshop agenda - Glenn is over in Europe fairly frequently.

Rick

PS I have no financial interest in PKS - just a desire to get the UK up to
21st Century information handling standards.