ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC  February 2006

ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC February 2006

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Levi Strauss: was Methodology: WAS Persuasions of the Witch's Craft

David Green <[log in to unmask]>

Society for The Academic Study of Magic <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 17 Feb 2006 10:58:58 +0000

text/plain

Chris,

Genius!

Dave

PS Towards the end of your message you are critical of the resurrection
of the emic/etic thing. Amen to you. I know that this has been mentioned
in connection to the Luhrmann discussion and has been a point of
contention in Pagan studies of late, but I really do think that this is
a non-question now, or at least an irresolvable question. Emic/etic,
insider/outsider-isms have been shown to be problematic but it would be
nice to move on and actually tackle the magical and not wet ourselves
about all the problems associated with trying to study it. There are
other more pressing issues if we want the study of magic to be accepted
in the academy, as you point out.