PUBLIC-HEALTH  January 2006

PUBLIC-HEALTH January 2006

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Travel Planning gets financial bite for the Year of the Dog

Mon, 30 Jan 2006 19:40:26 +0000

text/plain

Issue Travel Planning gets financial bite for the Year of the Dog - January 2006 2006 is the year of the Dog, and Peter Hendy threw us a huge bone when he announced this week that TfL will fund Travel Planning to the tune of £30m a year.

No other authority has ever been given a budget approaching this size; with this funding TfL has the opportunity to demonstrate if it really is possible to mainstream travel planning.

The significance to the whole country cannot be over-estimated; after ten years of effort it is make or break for travel planning, potentially the future of the discipline in the UK depends on the success or failure of the TfL project.

The TfL initiative will be covered first at the ACT Annual Conference, where travel planners will be the listening with interest to the where TfL will be taking travel planning.

Richard Adams ACT Director responsible for the Annual Conference said, "We are exceptionally lucky to have such an illustrious line up of speakers. The Travel Planning field is alive with action right now, and many of the key movers have agreed to present at the conference."

The ACT 9th Annual Conference will include speakers from around the UK and America who will outline just how far we have come in the last decade, and show the way forward to the future.

Join us for this epoch making event, where we will establish whether Travel Planning really has come of age.

To book a delegate space fill in the registration form at www.act-uk.com, write to [log in to unmask] or call Rory or Helen for more details: 0207 348 1970 Lead Story Peter Hendy announces £30m funding for Travel Planning! Peter Hendy, the incoming Commissioner for Tranpsort for London announced in the Tranport Times today that TfL will be committing £30m a year to travel planning.

In an interview with Today's Tranport Times Peter Hendy outlined his comittment to Sustainable tranpsort saying that TfL believe it is "their role to not just provide transport but also advise people what their options are, travel less and more wisley."

They will be the first authority in the UK to fund Travel Planning to this extent.

This is earth moving news for the field andthe rest of the UK's authorities will have a chance to understand TfL's lead from presentations at the ACT Annual Conference in February. Lead Event ACT Annual Conference: ACT Your Age! 10 Years of Travel Planning 21 February 2006 The ACT Annual Conference is the banner event for Travel Planning, and as this year is the 10th Anniversary for Travel Planning in the UK we will be celebrating in style.

We will be looking at experience gained over the history of Travel Planning including views from across the Atlantic from ACT USA, current issues we face, and take a look into our crystal ball to see what impact travel planning could have in the next ten-years.

Our keynote speakers are Prof. David Begg, Centre for Transport Policy and Peter Hendy has been invited to outline TfL's comittment to travel planning. Neither is renowned for their shyness, so we can look forward to some very forthright views.

With a range of other leading lights from the profession providing insights and inspiration, this event is a must for any organisation serious about sustainable transport.

The event is filling up fast and we have restricted space, so please book soon to be assured of a place.

We will also be highlighting some excellent examples of current good practice with our annual ACT Commuter Initiative Awards, which are increasingly high profile and this year sponsored by the Energy Saving Trust.

Throughout the day the speakers are some of the most respected and motivational in the business, and we are confident of a busy day.

Download the registration form from the ACT website, or call Rory or Helen; 0207 348 2970 or email: [log in to unmask] News David Begg: Forth Bridge tolls row puts politics before policy David Begg reveals in an article in today's Transport Times how Gordon Brown and other leading politicians make a mokery of transport policy to gain popularist short term electoral votes over the issue of TDM on the Forth Bridge. Harrow Travel Plan attracts Celebrity Endorsement Commuter Initiative Marketing Award hopeful, Fuad Omar, Travel Plan Officer at Harrow Council, has enlisted celebrity endorsement for travel planning in the borough. Bollywood legend Bobby Deol and Hollywood A-listers like Rob Lowe have provided a massive PR boost for Harrow's good Going campaign.
The Commuter Initiative Award Winners will be announced at the ACT Annual Conference on 21st February. Nominations are open until February 13th, see http://www.act-uk.com/about/awards.jsp for details SURVEY "Does using the planning process work as a means of securing effective Travel Plans?" Local authority members are asked to complete the survey of a dissertation for an MSc in Transport Planning and Engineering.  The title of my dissertation is "Does using the planning process work as a means of securing effective Travel Plans?" http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?=491421602796 Emma Young
Sustainable Transport Co-ordinator
Metropolitan Borough of Wirral
Cheshire Lines Building
Canning Street
Birkenhead
Wirral
CH41 1ND Applications requested for the Commuter Initiative Awards The ACT Commuter Initiative Awards were set up 7 years ago to recognise originality and innovation in the field of travel planning, and are this year we are pleased to announce they are supported by the Energy Saving Trust.

All ACT member organisations are invited to apply for one of this year's awards. Climate poses increased threat, admits Blair A study of environmental scientists warns today that we may be reaching the point of return as increasing emissions from motor transport and power stations accelerate global warming. Transport experts predict the bicycle will become the vehicle of the future. Foresight, the DTI's science think-tank, consulted 300 transport experts to draw up a vision of what transport choices people will have by 2055. It concluded due to the likely shortage of cheap fuel cars wil become a luxury item, seldom seen and the transport-of-the-future would be the bicyle. Events NHS event: Transport and the Environment - Sharing in the Experience of Others 09 March 2006 National Performance Advisory Group has offered ACT members a 20% discount to attend the Transport and the environment seminar.

OBJECTIVES OF THE SEMINAR
Benefit from the practical experience of colleagues;
An opportunity to exchange experience and views with others;
Learn from the experience of others;
Establish contacts for future networking;
Identify good working practice.

WHO SHOULD ATTEND

Travel Planners / Co-ordinators
Directors of Estates and Facilities
Hospital Managers
Local Authority Travel Co-ordinators
Finance Managers
Transport Managers
Project Managers
Hospital Planners
Local Authority Planners Documents UK Standard for Monitoring Travel Plans This email was sent to [log in to unmask] If you don't want to receive further emails from ACT then
		if you are a registered with the ACT website you can login and alter your email subscriptions settings accordingly. If you haven't registered with the ACT website then reply to this email with a subject of REMOVE. Make sure you reply using the address this message was sent to.