Re: The Way Ahead . . .

Chris Keene <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 31 Jan 2006 23:53:01 +0000

text/plain

"First, the evidence is overwhelmingly strong that most people do not change
behaviour through awareness-raising interventions, which is how I see your
call to try to challenge the 'growth' mindset"

On the other hand, the way in which the free market fundamentalists
completely changed the economic orthodoxy from the Keynesian,
interventionist policies which had ruled mid century to the Thatcherism
of the later part of the twentieth century was by changing the ideas of
intellectuals, largely by the efforts of free market think tanks such as
the Institute for Economic Affairs.  (There is a very good article by
Susan George from the late 1990s in Dissent magazine about how this was
done. I haven't posted it because it's very long, but I can email anyone
a copy).  Is changing the ideas of  intellectuals the correct role for
Crisis Forum?

Chris