THE-WORKS  2006

THE-WORKS 2006

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: New sub: Advertising Arsenic (More thoughts)

Christina Fletcher <[log in to unmask]>

The Pennine Poetry Works <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 25 Dec 2006 10:40:38 +0000

text/plain

Dear M,
Since I'm streaming and hacking and too contagious for the usual Christmas
festivities, I thought I'd have another quiet shufti at your poem and, as
my Outlook Express isn't working, I copied and pasted 'Advertising Arsenic'
from Jiscmail.  I forgot that you lose the format when you do this so what
you get below is your poem edited by computer programmes which (unless
repasting reverts to the original), by chance, addresses something that's
tormenting me at the moment: the structure of poetry.
I have to admit that I prefer the accidental form: it flows so easily and
it's so well punctuated that none of the music is lost.   It feels
absolutely natural and, because of this, I find it easier to concentrate on
what's being said without the distraction of a feeling that there's a
measure of labour in the construction of the poem.  It’s the breaking down
of the text into lines of 10, 11, 12 and 13 syllables (if you link the last
line of stanzas 1 & 2 with the first of 2 & 3) that feels somewhat corseted.
It's not that I'm suggesting that there's anything wrong with the
craftsmanship of what you've written, simply that the computer editing
works better for me.  I also find it aesthetically more pleasing: those
lovely lines of dots preceding the second and third paragraphs feel more
like thought/breathing spaces.
By the way, the irony of ‘I will leave, Emma, be gone finally’ is simply
marvellous.  What will happen to the poor narrator if the poem’s published
in a twenty-second century anthology;-)
bw

Advertising Arsenic

The image that sticks with me is Emma stuffing whiteness into her mouth
like sherbet powder. She does it on the run, I think, her long skirts
curling around her legs like neglected cats. She swipes her mouth with the
back of her hand. Then she says, half to herself, half to me: I will lie
down now and go to sleep. That's how we both want it: the soft blink into a
deep gentle end--but I know, and how does she not know?--that there is pain
and retching, long hours stretched with suffering till the body exhausts
the light. ........................................Listen, Emma, Woody
Allen says he's not afraid of dying, just doesn't want to be around when it
happens. We understand that, don't we? I understand you, feel your
desperation, the last leap into darkness that turns out to be a flame. I
would take your hand, help you step over the stile of flesh into the green
and freedom of the next field, where they are picnicking in a blur of
meadow flowers. Instead we stick here like flies nailed to a windscreen by
a rush of wind that chills our
eyes. ......................................I will leave, Emma, be gone
finally, and you will always run and try to escape. Your stomach will
heave, your guts will grind again and again, but you never lived. You have
that mercy, yet I cannot forget you, cannot dislodge the teasel of you from
my hair. I carry your weight like an unwanted child.