THE-WORKS  2006

THE-WORKS 2006

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Please excuse me from "critique" duties

Arthur Seeley <[log in to unmask]>

The Pennine Poetry Works <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 12 Oct 2006 18:55:03 +0100

text/plain

I have to say that I find this at once interesting and then ultimately
nonsense or to be less harsh parodoxical. If you write for yourself (or
don't write at all but recite and then throw the result into the bin
although how that happens is unclear to me) how is it there is an enormously
copious blog consisting of your 'poetry' to which you have issued a
universal invitation to this list to come and read.
I have accused better poets than yourselves but who take the same attitude
of 'it is my words and I shall not alter one thing, not one thing, not one
thing, nothing, so there and there and there' (or some such repititious
silliness) ' accused them, I say, of intellectual arrogance and I think in
the same way you are consumed by your own ideas that you will acept no
dissention at all. You seem to be on some intellectual binge and ego
preening exercise of indulgence.
Now do not get me wrong here I invite criticism of anything I write and
welcome, with gratitude, the time others have taken to read and comment but
at the end I am the owner of the poem and I alone know what fathered the
thoughts that were developed in the poem so I feel free to accept or refuse
the advice as I the poet judge best for the poem but I also know that I am a
better poet for having listened and learned from others.
    I am afraid I cannot subscribe to the idea that a poem is of the moment
and then bin it ( much as some of my verse may deserve such an approach).
However I know that I am wasting my time making these points because clearly
you have no intention of adjusting your stance although there is some
curiosity that has led me to wonder how you came to such conclusions about
the nature and purpose of poetry. Arthur