THE-WORKS  2006

THE-WORKS 2006

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: discussion topic: series of poems/Bob

Colin Dewar <[log in to unmask]>

The Pennine Poetry Works <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 25 Feb 2006 10:41:10 -0000

text/plain

Regarding length, it matters more to me whether I find a poem interesting.
If I like it and it's also long, I think, "all the more for me to enjoy". If
I don't like it, then being short on its own won't redeem it. One of my
favourite poems is EB Browning's "Aurora Leigh" which is a novel in blank
verse. Another that I like is The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam. That gets the
best of both worlds, because each stanza can be lifted out on its own and
enjoyed like a haiku (Japanese for quickly). Famously the first:

Awake! for morning in the bowl of night
Has flung the stone that puts the stars to flight:
and lo! the hunter of the east has caught
The sultan's turret in a noose of light.

It's a great one for the kids at the top of cliffs with extravagant arm
movements and the clouds scudding in -  the time of day doesn't matter - or
you can say it ironically on a Sunday morning.

I'm not allergic to repetition BTW. Unless you use exactly the same words,
are two things ever truly repeated? Even if you did use the same words they
can developed in different ways. There are plenty of lines in Shakespeare
like this. Actors say them differently and they are received differently.

I suppose it comes down to how confident you are in the link that language
forms with another person. Isn't it the case sometimes, that you have to say
things in different ways for people to grasp what you wanted to say once?

Colin