FW: George Bush to receive Mahatma Gandhi Award

Ioannis Katerelos <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 9 Apr 2006 10:14:21 +0300

text/plain

-----Original Message-----
From: Ioannis Katerelos [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Sunday, April 09, 2006 10:11 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: FW: George Bush to receive Mahatma Gandhi Award

-----Original Message-----
From: Ioannis Katerelos [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Sunday, April 09, 2006 10:09 AM
To: 'Dawn Parker'
Subject: RE: George Bush to receive Mahatma Gandhi Award

I think that the question whether the equilibrists were (are) right or not,
have to be answered by a similar question of the same nature: if they are
not then why it has this "aha" effect on students? I could think of one or
two reasons:
1/ Maybe, because equilibrist theorists (using implicitly or explicitly) try
to "touch" the very nature of the human behavior and thought! Equilibrium is
considered more than a "need" and less than a "negotiated" topic. Thus, we
are talking about principles of human action  here and we are not referring
to descriptive models which are not causal by nature... So one of my
students, tried to negate the existence of causality in Social Sciences and
in general of course!
2/On the other hand, each and every model has its part of "fantasy"! It's
pretty easy to accept that if everything is a product of social negotiation
and there is not such a thing as "social value free" science, then
everything is acceptable if we agree to it. Communication matters!
How humans behave in a real world? Under a 'light motiv' (first we live and
then we philosophise!), equilibrists tried to find the very simple (and
elegant) model of human behavior for explaining it by the means of a
precocious (at that time) idea of emergence: everything can be based on
simple principles! I think they are yet trying, maybe they are right to do
so! Anti-equilibrists, they are trying to show that real life is much more
complex than a simplified model which ends up somewhere and, by doing so, it
becomes unrealistic: no one has ever observed an "equilibrated" (and
stagnated) society! What a mess...
Anyway, I think that some answer could be found in the relations we
"simplify" each time we use a simulation for getting answers in our
questions.
a/Do 'causality' (alias determinism) signify 'predictability'? OBVIOUSLY,
realistically, NO! But, OBVIOUSLY, there are some regularities (laws), we
are not, OBVIOUSLY, (at least completely) random creatures!
b/ If there is not any long-term predictability (or even short-term in some
cases) then what are we simulating? We are simulating an 'insimulable'
(unpredictable) reality... What could be the mean of 'validating' this
simulation?
Maybe we focus too much on static states (equilibrium or not) instead of
take a look at the dynamical aspect of social systems... And there lays, in
my opinion, the true power of the "social simulations method"! Only by
analogy we can think of touching the 'real' nature (equilibrated or not) of
the human behavior. We are in the deep, that's for sure!

Ioannis D. Katerelos