PLUS-ANNOUNCE 2006

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Issue 38 of Plus is now out! - http://plus.maths.org

Marianne Freiberger <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 8 Mar 2006 13:21:24 +0000

text/plain

Issue 38 of Plus is now out!

http://plus.maths.org

In this newsletter:
- What's in issue 38?
- Maths events at the Cambridge science festival

What's in issue 38?

The universe has much to thank Plus for this issue! We help slugs avoid
Armageddon, reflect on the symmetrical laws of nature and explore some
mysterious numbers. We even have the story behind Sudoku, and for all the
fans of these mind-benders we have a brand new version for you to try!

Graphical methods I: slug wars
The maths behind a cold war in slug world
http://www.plus.maths.org/issue38/features/wilson/index.html

Symmetry rules
Shapes, patterns and the laws of nature - how humans see the world
through symmetrical goggles
http://www.plus.maths.org/issue38/features/livio/index.html

Anything but square: from magic squares to Sudoku
The history of a maths drug
http://www.plus.maths.org/issue38/features/aiden/index.html

Mysterious number 6174
Meet a number with some amazing tricks up its sleeve
http://www.plus.maths.org/issue38/features/nishiyama/index.html

Career interview: computer music researcher
How to build an artificial musician
http://www.plus.maths.org/issue38/interview/index.html

Also in this issue:

try a Duplex Difference Sudoku,
http://plus.maths.org/issue38/puzzle/index.html

investigate matters of gravity,
http://plus.maths.org/issue38/outerspace/index.html

and celebrate the mathematical explorers.
http://plus.maths.org/issue38/editorial/index.html

Plus all the latest mathematical news and reviews.

Maths events at the Cambridge science festival

The Cambridge science festival is part of National Science Week and runs
from Wednesday 15 March to Sunday 26 March 2006. On both Saturdays there
are free maths events to which everyone is welcome. No advance booking is
necessary - please just drop in throughout the day for the Hands-On Maths
Fairs or arrive on time for the talks. For general information on the
Cambridge science festival visit http://www.cambridgescience.org/

Saturday 18th March, 10am - 4pm:

HANDS-ON MATHS FAIR

Games, puzzles and activites for all ages - including
the Soma cube, giant dominoes and the fiendish Auntie's Teacups.

Suggested age range: 5+
Venue: Small Hall, Guildhall, Market Square, Cambridge CB2 3QJ

Saturday 25th March, 10am - 4pm:

HANDS-ON MATHS FAIR
Venue: Centre for Mathematical Sciences, Clarkson Road, Cambridge CB3 0WA

The Maths Cafe will also be open all day from 10am - 4pm serving tea,
coffee and light refreshments for hungry children and tired parents!

Saturday 25th March, 10.30 am - 11.30 am:

WHAT A COINCIDENCE! - Popular lecture by Professor Geoffrey Grimmett

Is it surprising that many strange and unpredictable things occur daily?
Would it not be more surprising if such events never occurred? With
mathematics on our side, we can use chance and risk to our advantage.

Venue: Centre for Mathematical Sciences, Clarkson Road, Cambridge CB3 0WA
Suggested age range: 14/15+ and general public

Saturday 25th March, 12 noon - 1 pm:

MATHS AT WORK IN THE REAL WORLD - Popular lecture by Dr Robert Hunt

Mathematics is sometimes seen as abstract, but this talk explains how it is
constantly at work in our everyday lives.

Venue: Isaac Newton Institute, 20 Clarkson Road, Cambridge
Suggested age range: 14+

Saturday 25th March, 2.30 pm - 3.30 pm:

MATHS AND SPORT - Popular lecture by Professor John Barrow

Is the Premier League just a random process? Why are there so many strange
scoring systems in sport? Why do high jumpers use the Fosbury Flop? We turn
the spotlight of science and maths on sport.

Venue: Centre for Mathematical Sciences, Clarkson Road, Cambridge CB3 0WA
Suggested age range: 14/15+ and general public

Happy reading from the Plus team