PHONET  2006

PHONET 2006

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: acoustic distsinction between barred I and barred U

"Scobbie, Jim" <[log in to unmask]>

Scobbie, Jim

Tue, 20 Jun 2006 23:04:00 +0100

text/plain

 ok - here are the figures based on Stuart-Smith's data, a bit clearer,
which again suggest F1 is something to look at (because as I said, /u/ is
often not phonetically a high vowel) let along F3 or F2.

Some more discussion follows these numbers:

formants f1 and f2, n=4 (one token per speaker) from lexemes
brood /ud/ & brewed /u#d/. Coarticulation effect from /br/ is likely, and WC
tend to tap it.

WC/MC = working/middle class om/ym = old/young male, of/yf = old/young
female.

F1

 /ud/	om	ym	of	yf
MC	343	430	357	451
WC	332	402	398	468
 /u#d/
MC	352	402	351	443
WC	351	412	375	425

F2

 /ud/	om	ym	of	yf
MC	1476	1817	1642	2005
WC	1694	1809	1968	1916
 /u#d/
MC	1428	1862	1505	2048
WC	1668	1660	1940	1924

Combined (n=8)

	om	ym	of	yf
MC	347	416	354	447
MC	1452	1840	1574	2026
WC	341	407	386	444
WC	1681	1734	1954	1920

stdev for combined social groups

	om	ym	of	yf
MCF1	37	61	68	37
MCF2	102	192	181	78
WCF1	44	36	57	40
WCF2	79	133	109	159

(An aside on articulatory metaphors - I don't think the issue of barred I
vs. barred U as phonetic targets is remotely helpful for you: what matters
is the range of actual acoustic versions that are found. Articulatory
measurement of lip rounding and tongue configuration would indeed be
interesting, but since you're not planning on measuring lip roundings or
tongue position, the barred-u/barred-i difference is neither here nor there,
seems to me. So, a way to introduce the general idea of the research, but I
disagree with Sara I think it was that it's worthwhile starting trying out
different articulations and looking at th acoustic effects, if that's what
she meant. Interesting in its own right, but I don't think necessary in this
case.)

Also, Bob mentions lexical differences. In Scobbie and Stuart-Smith (2006)
we present the first results of lexically-based variation in /ai/ in
word-internal contexts - the results as published are just transcription,
but I have the F1/F2 measurements of these somewhere. Also, I have copious
amounts of pilot data from 3 speakers on lexical differences in SVLR which I
have presented a few times - long vowels in "dude" for example, or "vibes"
whereas more normally those phonotactics /ud/ and /aib/ would have short
vowels. Maybe not terribly relevant if you are looking just at quality, but
the phonetic duration system is definitely relevant to both judgements of
Scottishness and is indeeed able to be lexically specified. A short duration
of a vowel in "spoon" sounds Scottish, probably.

Bob refers to the very interesting issue:

>what I'm aiming at is, for Scottish
>English, something like Labov's index of "Philadelphian-ness" based on the
>acoustic realization of specific vowel phonemes. The basic idea is to
>explore the Labovian distinction between lexical set membership and
>phonetic realization

I know Bob is aware of the various Scottish things I've been doing on
dialectal fine variation from acoustic point of view, but some of the other
readers of the list whose interest is raised by the topic might not be, so
I'm give a couple pointers. Parental identity for mastery of SVLR is
something we looked at in a different ICPhS paper from 1999 by Hewlett,
Matthews and Scobbie, and recently I've looked at SVLR and VOT in
Shetlanders with various parentage, showing gradient effects of dialect
affiliation. Not so unusual for vowels, but in the context of VOT, I think
it is excellent evidence against universal features.

Scobbie, J. M. & Stuart-Smith, J. (2006). Quasi-phonemic contrast and the
fuzzy inventory: Examples from Scottish English. QMUC Speech Science
Research Centre Working Papers, WP-8

http://www.qmuc.ac.uk/ssrc/output/WP.htm

Also in these working papers are a version of the shetland vot/svlr thing,
and a paper on acquisition with Olga Gordeeva and Ben Matthews - Fig 1
represents the low centralised /u/ and there are various tables comparing
SSE and SSBE lexical sets from a Scottish perspective.

Wow, I feel exhausted from this copious self-promotion. :-)

Jen Hay & co have done interesting work on dialectal perception in New
Zeland, eg here
http://www.ling.canterbury.ac.nz/jen/documents/Hay-Nolan-Drager.pdf using a
different kind of method.

Signing off!!!

Hi Bob,

My guess is that this distinction between estuary and scottish versions of
the vowel in "good" is too complex for an MSc to make a lot of headway
unless some basic background work is done. The vowel will be very variable
in both accent types, and though there still may be a simple acoustic
relationship between formants and perceived Scottishness that can be found,
what would that tell you, if you find it? And what sort of judgement task is
the tight one for this sort of study? I think this needs to be clear to
start with, and think that a strong methodological and descriptive angle
would be really useful for other researchers.

As we all tend to do, you define /u/ variation in articulatory parameters of
fronting and rounding, while asking for acoustic correlates of the
difference, because formants are what are easiest to use to quantify it. I'm
pretty sure there is a lot of articulatory variation, and acoustic variation
too, and as a first step I would look at one or the other, but not both. So,
acoustics only.

However, I think /u/ is central-to-front, not sure about how often it is
more than mid rounded, and I think it will be mid-close, often no higher
than /o/.

Acoustically, it's worth looking at the variation studies that are out
there. There is a paper on OUT (Eremeeva, V. and Stuart-Smith, J. (2003), 'A
sociophonetic investigation of the vowels OUT and BIT in Glaswegian',
Proceedings of the XVth International Congress of Phonetic Sciences,
Barcelona, 1205-8) which may have something to say about the acoustics of
the monophthongal variant of the OUT vowel. Pretty sure Jane has lots of
info on /u/, maybe not in that paper though.

My laptop has become desychronised to my work files, or I could tell you
what the values I have for /u/ are from Jane's data. Oh - here they some -
in Scobbie, James M., Alice Turk & Nigel Hewlett (1999) Morphemes, Phonetics
and Lexical Items: The Case of the Scottish Vowel Length Rule. Proceedings
of the XIVth International Congress of Phonetic Sciences. Volume 2:1617-1620

http://www.qmuc.ac.uk/ssrc/pubs/scob991.pdf

Age-sex group:  F1 - F2
Younger F:     445 - 1977
Younger M:     412 - 1787
Older F:       370 - 1764
Older M:       345 - 1567

Sadly - no F3. Bad me.

I will have social variation results for these at work, but I don't think I
measured F3, and it was in my pre-PRAAT days, so I can't just ask the data.
Damn.

Are you using synthesised vowels - in which case you could look at an
acoustic cue directly, or real tokens? If real tokens, there will be lots of
other things present which might cue Scottishness too: voice quality,
intonation, duration etc.

There is an IRN BRU 32 advert at the moment with an interesting /u/ vowel,
very good example of one of the broad Scots-influenced variants you hear. It
features a hardman cuckoo. This variant is a central but not too high /u/.
And this is not merely a variant, but a variant selected for a media
campaign as being stereotypical for a subtype of Scottishness.

http://www.themarketingblog.co.uk/e_article000591518.cfm?x=b11,0,w

VERY quick and dirty measurement gives
F1 400Hz, F2 1500Hz, F3 2500Hz-2700Hz.

the adult male cuckoo fits the average adult male profile for glasgow /u/
fairly well, with a little higher F1  and similar F2.

Jim Scobbie