thoughts on The Men

Melissa Flores <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 18 Sep 2006 03:48:59 +0200

hello list,

i've been lurking here for some time, but hi! i have no particular background in poetry that i can introduce myself as; i read quite a bit of english-language poetry & have written a few things about it.

does anyone have any thoughts on the poetry of lisa robertson, in particular her recent book The Men?

In a dialogue review of the book at Intercapillary Space - between myself and Edmund Hardy, my thoughts are below. As we're both on this list, if anyone has any comments, reactions or further points for debate, it seems an ideal opportunity to continue the conversation started here.

Melissa

http://intercapillaryspace.blogspot.com/2006/09/lisa-robertsons-men.html
Lisa Robertson's The Men

reviewed by Melissa Flores-Bórquez and Edmund Hardy

MF-B: This is a lyric book in five parts. The writing comes in short passages, enjambed sentences mixed with prose. Often each short passage will contain a slip or jump, and then there is a transition of white space to the next little text. The Men reads as a lyric zone in which problems & questions overlap. The men are addressed, described, listed, ridiculed and their "funny pathos" is saluted. It's a satire, a glamorous joke, but the laughter turns "As laughter to a fall". Into a fretwork of men. The men are characterised by their "poverty speaking". They are often like the sky, they are "above", they make "something from what I am." The poem is

A purple scarf
Of men