ANTHROPOLOGY-MATTERS  2006

ANTHROPOLOGY-MATTERS 2006

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

[Fwd: People of the Wind Screening news]

Rebecca Marsland <[log in to unmask]>

Rebecca Marsland <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 7 Mar 2006 06:37:51 +0000

text/plain

*        http://www.anthropologymatters.com            *
* A postgraduate project comprising online journal,    *
* online discussions, teaching and research resources  *
* and international contacts directory.                *

Please note, after a brief introduction by Shusha Guppy this film will
begin promptly at 7.00pm.

POCKETSCREENING
People of the Wind (1976, 47 mins. Director, Anthony Howarth) Q&A with Mike
Dodds (cinematographer) and Richard Tapper (SOAS). Introduced by ShushaGuppy.

A ‘lost’ film restored by Milestone Film & Video and TapeHouse, NYC.

Academy Award® Nominee: Best Documentary
Golden Globe Nominee: Best Documentary

Tuesday, March 7th, 7.00pm
Venue: J Z Young Lecture Theatre, Anatomy Building, Gower Street
(University College London) WC1N
Further info about all the films, bookings and directions:
www.pocketvisions.co.uk

There are two hundred miles of raging rivers and dangerous mountains to
cross. There are no towns, no roads, no bridges. There is no turning back.
The Bakhtiari migration is one of the most hazardous tests of human
endurance known to mankind. Every year, 500,000 men, women and children -
along with one million animals - struggle for eight grueling weeks to scale
the massive Zagros Mountains in Iran - a range which is as high as the Alps
and as broad as Switzerland - to reach their summer pastures. The film’s
astonishing widescreen photography and brilliantly recorded soundtrack take
the viewer out onto the dangerous precipices of the Zardeh Kuh mountain and
into the icy waters of the Cholbar River.

Narrator: James Mason
Director: Anthony Howarth
Executive Producer: Elizabeth R. Rogers
Producers: Anthony Howarth & David Koff
Script: David Koff
Editor: Carolyn Hicks
Cinematographer: Mike Dodds
Sound: Ivan Sharrock
Music: G. T. Moore and Shusha Guppy
Production company: Carolyn Films
Year of production: 1976
Length in minutes: 110

The Restoration
In 1990, Milestone Film & Video acquired and restored the classic silent
film, Grass. When it was released on video, Grass became one of the
company’s best-selling titles and was voted one of the ten best releasesof
the year by the New York Times and Video Magazine. At the time, many of the
buyers of Grass asked us about a 1976 color re-make of the film, People of
the Wind. They described it as a “lost” film and remembered it vividly.It
was hard to believe that a film only fifteen years old could be lost, but
it seemed to be. Thus began our search for the rights, materials and owner
of People of the Wind, an on-and-off quest for that took many twists and
turns over the next few years.

Just for fun, we looked up reviews of People of the Wind in the New York
Public Library’s Performing Arts division. There was a small story in the
New York Times by Vincent Canby which mentioned that a wealthy heiress from
the “Chicago Bridge and Iron trust,” Elizabeth Rogers, had financed the
film. Images of old money and eccentric widows filled our minds and we
placed phone calls to every Elizabeth Rogers in the Chicago phonebook  to
no avail. We asked friends and colleagues at newspapers around the country
to search their records for any obituary of Ms. Rogers. Still nothing.
Then, by chance, we found a press kit for the film at a flea market for
25¢. It was a bargain, because in it we found the credit: “Color by
Deluxe.” One phone call to the owner of Deluxe, Bud Stone, was sufficient.
Indeed, the internegative, optical soundtracks and subtitle bands were
still held by the lab. But there was another catch. Their records showed
that the material was being held for Crown International, a long-time
Hollywood producer of B-movies. It seemed odd that such a company would
hold the rights for a 1976 documentary on the Bakhtiari. A phone call to
Scott Schwimer, senior vicepresident at Crown, proved to be a highlight of
our search. He told us that he wasn’t aware of People of the Wind, butthat
it could have been from an earlier regime. He asked, “Who stars in thefilm
so I can check my database?” Our reply, “Bakhtiari nomads from the southof
Iran,” brought gales of laughter.

Schwimer agreed that Deluxe’s records must be mistaken and sent out a
letter that day releasing any claim by Crown on the material. It was an
unusually kind and generous gesture that gave our search new momentum. So
we had located the original materials, but we still needed to find out who
owned the rights to the film. Deluxe explained that in these cases,
permission from the producers credited on the film would suffice. Our
search then turned to the producers: David Koff and Anthony Howarth. Pam
Wintel of the Smithsonian’s Human Studies Film Archive, suggested that Mr.
Koff might be living in Los Angeles. Luckily, not only was there a David
Koff in the Los Angeles phone book, but it turned out to be the very man we
sought! At first, Mr. Koff was a bit surprised by our inquiry, but
volunteered his permission for our planned restoration and release of
People of the Wind. He explained that we should contact Anthony Howarth and
Carolyn Hicks (it seemed they had met editing People of the Wind and were
still together). He did not know where they could be found, but suggested
they might be somewhere in England. But first, he told us, we need to get
permission from Ms. Rogers. When we suggested that she must be old or
perhaps dead, we again elicited gales of laughter. Ms. Rogers, who was in
her twenties when she produced the film, was a mother of four and quite
alive. But again, he had no idea where she might be. He suggested
contacting her old friends, authors Michael Arlen and Peter Matthiessen,
and told us that she had a summerhouse on Captiva Island.

Although nothing showed up in our search of Captiva and we couldn’t get
hold of Michael Arlen, we had had previous contact with Mr. Matthiessen
when we released The Young One, a film based on one of his short stories.
So we wrote to him, but he replied he hadn’t seen Ms. Rogers for years. So
we went back to an earlier clue: Ms. Rogers’ connection with ChicagoBridge
and Iron. Sure enough, a phone call to David Koff reminded him that she did
have a lawyer representing her and the trust: a Chester W. Nosal of Winston
& Strawn. We left a message for Mr. Nosal and then waited for days without
answer, our hopes fading. But the next week a very suspicious assistant of
Mr. Nosal returned our call. After we explained that we were a distributor
who wanted to contract for the rights for People of the Wind, Mr. Nosal got
on the line and gave us the long-sought-after phone number for Elizabeth
Rogers. It had take almost five years of searching, but at last our quest
was almost over. We called the very much alive Ms. Rogers and she
immediately met us with kindness and enthusiasm. We told her of our long
quest and at the mention of Peter Matthiessen, she was surprised  after
all, she saw him every Sunday at his Buddhist ashram. This time, the
laughter came from our end of the line.

We quickly negotiated and signed an agreement for Milestone to release
People of the Wind. Ms. Rogers then helped us get in contact with Anthony
Howarth’s friend and agent, Woodfin Camp, who led us to the elusive Mr.
Howarth himself!

Next came the hard part. Deluxe kindly sent over the People of the Wind
materials to John Allen’s restoration lab, Cinema Arts. The first
inspection report was disturbing  the rolls of film totaled only 110
minutes  seventeen minutes short of the original running time. We contacted
Howarth, Koff and Rogers and were enlightened. The film had been made on
deadline and Howarth had never been entirely happy with the 127-minute
version. He felt that it dragged in places and the co-producers and critics
agreed. They went back and re-edited, creating a 110-minute version which
all agreed was superior. Strangely enough, only one print of the new
shorter film was struck (for Howarth’s personal use) and the new version
seems never to have shown elsewhere.

Back at Cinema Arts the materials were inspected and declared in good
condition. But unfortunately, the optical tracks were mono and were vastly
inferior to the $200,000 surround-sound stereo that had been made for the
film. Luckily, Ms. Rogers still had everything from the production  over
nineteen boxes of soundtracks, out-takes, and various odds and ends to pour
through. In Box Numbers 7A and 7B we discovered the original 35mm full-coat
soundtracks! All these materials were sent to the Tape House Editorial
Company, the premiere film-to-tape lab in the country. We had decided that
People of the Wind, an Oscar® and Golden Globe nominee for Best
Documentary, deserved the best treatment possible. With the extremely kind
cooperation of Mark Polyocan and Tim Spitzer of Tape House, the film was
transferred to High Definition using the Spirit. Colorist Ron Stetler did a
masterful transfer  the colors popped off the screen and the film never
looked better. But when the sound for the third reel was being laid down,
another disaster struck. Halfway through the reel, the full-coat 35mm mag
tracks turned into optical negative. Even more mysteriously, it wasn’teven
from the same film!

So we had to make a print of the optical track for the third reel from the
original negative. We then sent the print to TrackWise in New York where
they created a DAT transfer for the video master. We encountered more
trouble when the technicians at TrackWise discovered that the film used a
Dolby DBX application that no longer exists and the DAT would not be
properly encoded. In desperation, we called the Hollywood headquarters of
Todd A-O, the original producers of the soundtrack. Fortunately, they still
had the DBX card that would properly encode the sound master and they
generously sent it overnight to their New York branch to get the transfer
done quickly. Todd A-O even volunteered that they had back-up sound masters
to the original film! Unfortunately, these proved to be in mono (made for
the 16mm release) and were for the older, longer version. However, the
company sent them on to Milestone for preservation.

At last, with everything finally in place, Tape House transferred People of
the Wind to High-Definition video using the restored soundtrack and
original 35mm negative. This breathtaking film is now ready to be seen once
again  and it only took us nine years! In the second half of 1999, a new
35mm print will be struck and preservation materials will be made on thefilm.

Patrick Hazard
Department of Anthropology
University College London
Gower Street
London
WC1E 6BT

This message, including any attachments, is confidential and may be
privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not the
intended recipient, please notify us immediately and do not disclose,
distribute, or retain this email or any part of it. It is believed, but not
warranted, that this e-mail, including any attachments, is virus free. You
must therefore take full responsibility for virus checking.