Re: Slice Timing in Block Design

Marko Wilke <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 5 Oct 2006 09:19:36 +0200

text/plain

Hi Richard, Christian,

my take is that for a block-design, most people do not do a slice timing
correction. Even for event-related designs, some people don't as there
is another interpolation step of questionable value (and results vary
desisively depending on your chosen settings). I do know that some
software packages (BAMM, specifically) instead allow to shift your
design matrix depending on the order of the slice acquisition wich I
personally find rather elegant :)

Best,
Marko

Mohr, Christian wrote:
> Hello Richard!
> I do not know a reference including a discussion about yes or no for
> using slice-timing in block designs. I tried to find the same answer
> some weeks ago you are looking for now. All I could find and appaised as
> useful information were the general explanations of the slice-timing
> procedure from R. Henson postet in the SPM-archives.
> I appended the posting further down.
> For more infos, search the list!
> Hope this helps and if somebody tells you the reference, I would be very
> happy about receiving a copy of this email....
>
> Best,
> Chris
>
> Richard Smith schrieb:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > In our lab, we do fMRI analaysis using SPM and our design is a Block
> Design During the preprocessing stage, do I need to include the Slice
> Timing? Is there any benefit/ harm if I include Slice Timing for a Block
> Design?
> >
> > If possible, can someone give me the reference?
> >
> > Thank you. Appreciate your help.
> > Richard.
> >
> > Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Make PC-to-Phone Calls to the US (and
> 30+ countries) for 2¢/min or less.
>

> Christian Mohr
> Klinik für Neurologie
>
> Universitätsklinikum Schleswig-Holstein
> Campus Lübeck
> Ratzeburger Allee 160
> 23538 Lübeck
>
> Telefon: +49 451-500-3709
> FAX: + 49 451-500-2489
> email1: [log in to unmask]
> email2: [log in to unmask]

> SPM SLICE-TIMING: THE FINAL WORD?
>
> The concept behind slice order specification is actually very simple,
> but there appears to be much room for confusion.
>
> Let me try to summarize the development of spm_slice_timing...
>

> When Christian and I wrote the front-end for the slice-timing
> code you provided (adapted from Geoff and Eric's code), we made
> the following simple assumptions:
>
> 1. The temporal order of slices would be coded by the
> left-to-right order of slices in a vector
>
> 2. The slices would be referenced by the Analyze convention,
> where 1=bottom slice.
>
> If you follow these rules when entering the slice order (as user-
> specified), there is no problem. Thus a six-slice descending sequence
> in space (top slice acquired first) would be coded as:
>
> 6 5 4 3 2 1
>
> I repeat: no errors will have been made if you followed these rules,
> regardless what sequence you use.
>

> The potential for confusion perhaps arose when we introduced two
> further
> options. The first was the the addition of various default menu options
>
> (descending, ascending, interleaved) that avoided the need for the user
>
> to type in slice order by hand (for the most common sequences). The
> second was the default choice of a reference slice (particularly in
> relation
> to interleaved sequences)....

> [...]

Marko Wilke (Dr.med./M.D.)

Universitäts-Kinderklinik University Children's Hospital
Abt. III (Neuropädiatrie) Dept. III (Pediatric neurology)
             Hoppe-Seyler-Str. 1, D - 72076 Tübingen
Tel.: (+49) 07071 29-83416 Fax: (+49) 07071 29-5473