ANTHROPOLOGY-MATTERS  2006

ANTHROPOLOGY-MATTERS 2006

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Fwd: Research Fellowship opportunity - Health Care Policy

MARSLAND Rebecca <[log in to unmask]>

MARSLAND Rebecca <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 8 Dec 2006 10:29:02 +0000

text/plain

* http://www.anthropologymatters.com *
* A postgraduate project comprising online journal, *
* online discussions, teaching and research resources *
* and international contacts directory. *

For any medical anthropologists out there...

Begin forwarded message:

> From: "Patsy Hodgson" <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: 7 December 2006 11:13:06 GMT
> To: <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Research Fellowship opportunity - Health Care Policy
>
> I would be grateful if staff in the School would pass this on to any
> recently graduated PhD students they think might be interested. It is
> focussed on the policies relating to Information and Choice in Health
> Care and requires someone with strong qualitative skills. The post
> will
> be based in the University of Stirling for 19 months, with the
> possibility of a further 12 months at the University of Edinburgh
> if the
> candidate also has quantitative skills.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andy
>
> Andrew Thompson
> Senior Lecturer in Advanced Quantitative Methods
> School of Social and Political Studies
> University of Edinburgh
> Adam Ferguson Building / 311
> George Square
> EDINBURGH EH8 9LL
> Scotland
>
> Tel. +44 (0)131 651 1562
> Fax. +44 (0)131 650 6546
> email: [log in to unmask]

SITUATION VACANT

Department of Nursing & Midwifery

(Alliance for Self Care Research)

Research Fellow (Information and Choice in Health Care)

£20,842 - £31,525 p.a.

(Subject to job evaluation)

This is an exciting opportunity to join a team of researchers to
undertake research about the kinds of information that people need
and prefer and use in relation to making decisions about their health
and health care. The research will be undertaken on behalf of the
NHS SDO Programme.

You will have a PhD in a social or health science (or equivalent
experience) and proven abilities in qualitative data analysis, focus
group discussions, handling sensitive issues, high level
organisational skills and good analytical and critical thinking skills.

The post provides the opportunity to develop understanding of health
information used whilst being directly relevant to policy. You will
be supported in your career development; be able to join the wider
research groupings and work with friendly and supportive colleagues
on a beautiful campus that is easily accessible from many parts of
Scotland.

This is a full time, fixed term appointment (19 months) and the
initial salary will be up to £28,010 p.a., subject to job evaluation.

Informal enquiries are welcome to Professor Sally Wyke, Telephone:
01786 466381. Email: [log in to unmask]

The University is committed to ensuring the safety of vulnerable
people and our recruitment process is designed to support this. The
successful applicant for this post will be subject to a Disclosure
Scotland check.

Further particulars and application forms are available from the HR
Services, University of Stirling, Stirling, FK9 4LA; tel 01786
467028; fax 01786 466155; e-mail [log in to unmask]

Closing Date: Tuesday 9 January 2007

Please quote ref no: 12861/4965

www.hr-services.stir.ac.uk

AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES EMPLOYER

DEPARTMENT OF NURSING AND MIDWIFERY (ALLIANCE FOR SELF CARE RESEARCH)

RESEARCH FELLOW - INFORMATION AND CHOICE IN HEALTH CARE

REF: 12861

THE UNIVERSITY

The campus based University of Stirling was founded by Royal Charter
in 1967 on the historic Airthrey Estate, close to Bridge of Allan and
two miles from the centre of Stirling, which received city status in
the Queen’s Jubilee year. Set in the shadow of the Ochil Hills, the
campus is situated on a magnificent 310 acre estate, centred around a
large loch and the 18th century Airthrey Castle. The University
undoubtedly has one of the most attractive campuses in Europe. The
MacRobert Arts Centre and the Stirling Management Centre are also
situated on the University campus.

The University currently has approximately 9,000 students and 2,000
staff and a turnover of more than £72 M per annum. From its
inception, the University of Stirling has offered modular degree
programmes allowing tremendous flexibility and choice. Innovative
methods of teaching and learning have resulted in the introduction of
part-time evening degrees and a credit-bearing Summer Academic
Programme. Stirling was the first UK University to introduce a
semester system and students have until mid-way through second year
to decide what their final degree subject(s) will be.

Academic Researchers at Stirling conduct high quality research,
ranging from strategic to applied, making a vital contribution to the
economic, social and cultural life of Scotland and beyond.
Collaboration and innovation, removing traditional academic
divisions, have achieved tangible results.

A CENTRE OF SPORTING EXCELLENCE

The University has some of the finest sports facilities on a single
site in the country, including the National Swimming Academy with the
50m Robertson Trust Pool, and the Gannochy National Tennis Centre.
Other facilities include its own golf course and golf academy, a
state-of-the art fitness centre and appropriate arenas for all the
major indoor and outdoor sports. The campus is also home to the
Headquarters of the Scottish Institute of Sport, the Central Scotland
Institute of Sport and the Commonwealth Games Council for Scotland.

STIRLING AND SURROUNDING AREA

The city of Stirling is a historical, administrative and commercial
centre which is situated between the Highlands and the Lowlands of
Scotland. With a population of almost 40,000, Stirling boasts a wide
range of shopping and leisure facilities to cater for all tastes.
Recreational opportunities are excellent and include climbing, hill
walking, cycling, golf and horse riding.

Primary and secondary education in Scotland has an extremely good
reputation with the overwhelming majority of schools preferring to
remain within the state funded sector, whilst the private sector is
also well represented. There are many well established, successful
schools in Stirling, Bridge of Allan and its constituent towns and
villages, all within easy reach of the University.

There is a General Practitioners/Health Centre on the University
Campus, as well as Occupational Health Facilities, local doctors and
dentists and a Royal Infirmary in Stirling together with many other
local hospitals within easy reach.

Stirling takes full advantage of its geographical position and has
excellent direct rail and road links to Glasgow and Edinburgh,
Aberdeen, Inverness and Newcastle. London can be reached, by air, in
approximately an hour from either Glasgow or Edinburgh. Edinburgh
and Glasgow International Airports are less than an hour’s drive from
Stirling’s campus.

The University has two other Campuses, namely the Highland Campus in
Inverness and the Western Isles Campus in Stornoway which are
responsible for the teaching of nurses and midwives in the Forth
Valley, Highlands and Western Isles.

FURTHER PARTICULARS

The Post

This is an exciting opportunity to join a team of researchers to
undertake research about the kinds of information that people need,
prefer and use in relation to making decisions about their health and
health care. The research will be undertaken on behalf of the NHS SDO
Programme.

Choice is at the heart of Government health policies but it is
meaningless without information. This research focuses on people’s
needs, preferences and use of information in relation to a range of
types of choices (such as kind of treatment, whether to undergo
screening, how to care for a loved one).
The research focuses on five health issues throughout: antenatal
screening; the decision to end a pregnancy because of foetal
abnormality; being at high risk of and screening for sickle cell
disorder; caring for a family member with dementia; and having
colorectal cancer. It will be conducted in three stages:

1. an analysis of five existing collections of interviews in
which people have told their stories about being faced with decisions
in relation to screening, having a serious illness and caring for a
loved one with dementia. This secondary analysis will investigate
accounts of participation in choices and the information needed,
preferred and used in relation to each choice
2. extended focus group discussions with people who face or
have faced these exemplar health issues. We will give people examples
of different types of information resources to look at and then ask
their response to them – which they prefer, which they consider most
useful and why.
3. surveys using a structured questionnaire in home-based
interviews, to estimate the proportions of different types of
patients and carers who need, prefer and use different types and
formats of information to make choices.
The research will inform the development of policy relating to the
provision of health information in a variety of ways. The
researchers have consulted with policy makers already and will set up
a ‘user group’ that will include people interested in the provision
of health information to advise on the development of the research
and the interpretation of its findings.

This post is to undertake stages 1 and 2 of the research proposal:
i.e. secondary analysis of five existing collections of interviews
and extended focus group discussions to investigate people’s response
to and preferences for different types of information in different
formats. We are seeking a researcher with experience of qualitative
research.

If the successful candidate also has experience of questionnaire
design, survey design and administration, and quantitative data
analysis, there is the possibility of undertaking stage 3 of the
research which will be led from the University of Edinburgh for a
further 12 months. This would involve a direct transfer of
employment from the University of Stirling to the University of
Edinburgh. However, this advertised appointment will be made on the
basis of having the necessary skills and experience to undertake the
qualitative stages 1 and 2 to a high standard and NOT on the basis of
the presence of the additional skills needed to undertake stage 3.
Further information about stage 3 is provided below.

Main Responsibilities

The successful candidate will work closely with existing members of
the research team (the grantholders) to undertake stages 1 and 2 of
the research. The research team will support the research fellow’s
work with regular meetings and contact; each have undertaken to
oversee the development of a particular stage of the research
although as a group they will oversee the project as a whole through
regular contact and face to face meetings. The existing members of
the team are:

Professor Sally Wyke:

Principle Investigator and Director of the Alliance for Self Care
Research

Sally will oversee the conduct of the whole project and be line
manager to the research fellow.

Professor Kate Hunt

Grantholder, Professorial Fellow in the Alliance for Self Care
Research and Head of the Gender Programme at the MRC Social and
Public Health Sciences Research Unit at the University of Glasgow.

Kate will jointly oversee stage 1 of the research

Professor Sue Ziebland

Grantholder, Professorial Fellow in the University of Stirling and
Research Director of DIPEx at the Department of General Practice and
Primary Care at the University of Oxford.

Sue will jointly oversee stage 1 of the research

Dr Vikki Entwistle

Grantholder, Reader at the Social Dimensions of Health Institute,
Universities of Dundee and St Andrews and the Alliance for Self Care
Research.

Vikki will jointly oversee stage 2 of the research

Dr Ruth Jepson

Grantholder, Senior Research Fellow, Department of Nursing and
Midwifery, University of Stirling

Ruth will jointly oversee stage 2 of the research

Dr Andrew Thompson

Grantholder, Senior Lecturer, School of Social and Political Studies,
University of Edinburgh

Andy will oversee stage 3 of the research with particular input from
Kate

Specific duties for the Research Fellow for stage 1 will be to:

· become familiar with the research literature on information
and choice of treatments and other decisions relating to health and
health care;

· undertake secondary analysis of the transcripts of a total of
around 200 interviews (which were conducted between 2002 to 2006) for
six existing DIPEx collections (antenatal screening; ending a
pregnancy for foetal abnormality; caring for people with dementia;
colorectal cancer; screening for sickle cell disease and thalassaemia);
· contribute to the preparation of an interim report, a paper
for publication and a workshop under auspices of the Patient
Information Forum;

Specific duties for the Research Fellow for stage 2 will be to:

· prepare COREC application, management approval etc for focus
group discussions;
· undertake 12 focus group discussions and 5 individual interviews;
· analyse transcripts from focus group discussions;
· contribute to the preparation of a second interim report and a
further paper for publication.

What will you gain by joining the project?

The opportunity to:

· work with a vibrant team of experienced researchers on an
important project;

· contribute to a project that has the potential to add a
significant understanding to how people use information to make
health choices and decisions which also has direct policy relevance;

· be supported in your career development;

· join the wider research grouping that is the Alliance for Self
Care Research with associated seminars, discussion groups and
opportunities to learn about and contribute ideas to other research;

· learn more about the work of the DIPEx charity, the MRC Social
and Public Health Sciences Unit and the University of Edinburgh’s
School of Social and Political Studies through links with the
grantholders;

· work with friendly and supportive colleagues on a beautiful
campus that is easily accessible from many parts of Scotland.

Personal qualities, experience and qualifications for the advertised
post

Essential

Desirable

Qualifications and/or Membership of Professional Bodies
PhD or equivalent research experience

Experience
Experience of qualitative data analysis

Experience of secondary analysis of existing qualitative data sets

Experience of recruiting to, organising, facilitating and analysing
data from focus group discussions
Peer reviewed publication(s) based on focus group research
Experience of health research or research relevant to choice in the
public sector
Working in a multi-disciplinary team
A track record of qualitative research publications in peer-reviewed
journals
Experience of writing for a lay audience
Experience in handling sensitive issues

High level organisational skills

Project management experience
Skills/Abilities/Competences
Demonstrated effective interpersonal skills including communication
(written and oral), presentation and team working skills

Good analytical and critical thinking skills

Good computer skills in word processing and use of data analysis
packages

Enthusiasm, flexibility, reliability and ability to meet deadlines

Clean Driving Licence and willingness to travel to conduct fieldwork

Supplementary information for those with skills relevant to the
quantitative stage (stage 3) and interested in transfer to the
University of Edinburgh

As stated earlier, if the successful candidate also has experience of
questionnaire design, survey design and administration, and
quantitative data analysis, there is the possibility of them
undertaking stage 3 of the research which will be led from the
University of Edinburgh. This would involve a direct transfer of
employment from the University of Stirling to the University of
Edinburgh for a further 12 months to finish the study.

We make it clear, however, that this appointment will be made on the
basis of having the necessary skills and experience to undertake the
qualitative stages 1 and 2 to a high standard.

Specific duties of the research fellow for stage 3 would be:

Þ To assist in the development of the survey instruments for each
health issue that would explore and describe the distributions of
each variable, make inferences about each population, and test
hypotheses developed in stages 1 and 2 with larger samples.
Preliminary testing would include undertaking cognitive interviews
(for which training will be provided if necessary) and some piloting
of the instruments;

Þ To liaise with the soon to be formed Primary Care Research Network
for England and its Scottish equivalent (Scottish Practices and
Professionals Involved in Research) to gain access to a sampling
frame for the survey;

Þ To assist in overseeing the administration of the surveys by a
market research company;

Þ To analyse the resulting data using a range of statistical methods,
including exploratory, descriptive and inferential statistics, as
well as multivariate modelling.

Additional personal qualities, experience and qualifications for
stage 3 post based at the University of Edinburgh

Essential

Desirable

Experience
Experience of survey design

Experience of negotiating access to sampling frames
Experience of questionnaire design
Experience of cognitive interviewing
Experience of analysis of quantitative data sets
Publication of peer reviewed papers based on analysis of quantitative
data sets

Informal Enquiries

Informal enquiries can be made to Professor Sally Wyke, Director of
the Alliance for Self Care Research. Telephone: 01786 466381.
Email: [log in to unmask]

Application Procedure

The University has responsibilities in respect of students and
applicants are required to disclose any criminal convictions. Road
Traffic offences need not be disclosed unless the post involves the
driving of University vehicles. If you have any criminal convictions
which are not “spent” (in terms of the Rehabilitation of Offenders
Act) details should be given on the attached recruitment form.

Applicants should state their nationality (this is required for work
permit purposes only), and whether any member of their immediate
family is employed by the University giving name, position and
relationship.

This is a full time, fixed term contract (19 months) and initial
salary will up to £28,010 p.a., subject to job evaluation.

The University is committed to ensuring the safety of vulnerable
people and our recruitment process is designed to support this. The
successful applicant for this post will be subject to a Disclosure
Scotland check.

Please complete the attached recruitment form and return it with your
full CV, a letter of application and the names of three referees who
can comment on your suitability for the post to HR Services,
University of Stirling, Stirling, FK9 4LA.

Closing date for applications: Tuesday 9 January 2007

It is anticipated that interviews will be held on Thursday 25 January
2007

APPLICATIONS RECEIVED AFTER THE CLOSING DATE WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

IF YOU HAVE ANY ENQUIRIES AFTER THE CLOSING DATE PLEASE CONTACT THE
DEPARTMENT DIRECT.

An Equal Opportunities Employer

APPLICATIONS FOR EMPLOYMENT

PROTECTION OF PERSONAL DATA

The University is committed to full compliance with the requirements
of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the Act) as currently in force, or
any successor legislation. The personal information which you
disclose to us as part of the recruitment process will be used only
for the purposes of that process and will be disclosed only to duly
appointed members of the selection panel and relevant office staff.
The University may have enclosed an Equal Opportunities Monitoring
form for completion with the application form, any sensitive personal
information given on the monitoring form will not be disclosed to the
selection panel and will be used only for monitoring purposes, with
the sole exception that, if you are invited to interview, information
about disability may be used by office staff to ensure that adequate
access and other relevant arrangements are made for you.

If your application is successful and you accept an offer of
employment, the application form, references and any other
information you supply will be used to form the basis of our
personnel record and for statutory purposes. You will have right of
access to all such material as provided by the Act. All copies made
for the purposes of the recruitment process will be destroyed
immediately after an appointment has been made. On becoming a member
of staff of the University you would be given further information
about our policy on use of personal information about employees for
official purposes.

If your application is unsuccessful your personal information will be
retained securely for nine months by the University and then
confidentially destroyed. All copies made for the purposes of the
recruitment process will be destroyed immediately after an
appointment has been made.

DIVERSITY AND EQUAL OPPORTUNITY POLICY STATEMENT

The University of Stirling aims to integrate diversity and equal
opportunity into all its activities from key decisions on its mission
and strategic objectives through to day-to-day operations. It does
not tolerate discrimination on the grounds of gender, race,
disability, age, religion and belief, sexual orientation or other
irrelevant distinction and is committed to working with diversity in
a wholly positive way to promote understanding, equality and
inclusiveness. All staff and students (whether existing or
potential) and visitors to our campuses should receive fair and equal
treatment whatever their relationship with the University. We
therefore have policies in place to ensure this in relation to:

research

recruitment and admissions

learning and teaching

the management of human and other resources

commercial operations

communications

The impact of these policies is monitored and assessed and the
outcomes from these analyses published regularly. The University
actively seeks the views and opinions of members of its community and
liaises with external bodies, representative groups and users on the
effectiveness and development of these policies. All individuals and
organisations with which the University has a contractual arrangement
are expected to accept the principle of equal opportunity and not to
be party to situations which could lead to unfair discrimination.

Equal Opportunities Monitoring Form

HR Services, The University of Stirling, Stirling, FK9 4LA. Tel:
01786 467136

The University of Stirling is committed to a policy of equal
opportunities for its students, staff and applicants. In order to
monitor the operation of this policy it is necessary to collect
certain key characteristics of these groups. The data collected
forms a confidential statistical record used solely for the purpose
of monitoring the effectiveness of this policy. The information
provided on this form is not made available to any selector. I hope
you will feel able to assist us by completing this form. Please
return the original copy only. Certain information will be held and
processed on computer in accordance with the University's
registration under the Data Protection Act.

Director of HR Services

Post Applied for:

Research Fellow
Post Reference No.

12861

Please answer the following by ticking the appropriate boxes.

1.

I am female

I am male

2.

I have care of dependant children

I have care of other dependants

3.

I would describe myself as:

White - British

Asian or Asian British - Bangladeshi

White - Irish

Chinese

White - Scottish

Other Asian Background

Irish Traveller

Mixed - White and Black Caribbean

Other White Background

Mixed - White and Black African

Black or Black British - Caribbean

Mixed - White and Asian

Black or Black British - African

  *Other Mixed Background

  *Other Black Background

  *Other Ethnic Background

Asian or Asian British - Indian

Not Known

Asian or Asian British - Pakistani

  *Please Specify ………………….

4.

I consider myself disabled

5.

I am currently employed at the Univ. of Stirling

Yes

No

Yes

No

6.

My date of birth is:

Day:

Month:

Year:

Thank you for providing this information. Please return the original
of this form, together with your completed application to:

HR Services, The University of Stirling, Stirling, FK9 4LA

FOR HR SERVICES USE ONLY

STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL

NAME:

POSITION APPLIED FOR: Research Fellow

The University has responsibilities in respect of students, and
applicants are required to disclose any criminal convictions. Road
Traffic offences need not be disclosed unless the post involves the
driving of University vehicles.

Do you have any criminal convictions which are not “spent” in terms
of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (see attached sheet for
details): YES/NO

If ‘YES’ details should be given here. The information provided on
this form is for HR Services use only and is not made available to
any selector.

DETAILS OF UNSPENT CRIMINAL CONVICTIONS:

Please return the original of this form, together with your completed
application to:

HR Services, The University of Stirling, Stirling, FK9 4LA

REHABILITATION OF OFFENDERS ACT 1974

Below you will find information that will assist you in deciding
whether your conviction(s) are spent or unspent (current).

¨ The ROA enables some criminal convictions to be ‘spent’ or
forgotten (for the purpose of employment) after a rehabilitation period.

¨ The length of the rehabilitation period depends on the sentence
given, not the offence committed.

¨ Sentences of more than 2½ years can never become spent and have
to be declared.

¨ Some types of employment are exempt from the ROA and applicants
are required to disclose all of their convictions, spent and
unspent. The employer has to state on the application form that the
job applied for has excepted status under the Exemptions Order 1975.

Jobs with excepted status include: Work involving vulnerable
groups e.g. children under 18 years of age

Examples of sentences and their corresponding rehabilitation periods:

SENTENCE

REHABILITATION PERIOD

People aged 18 or over at time of sentence

People aged under 18 at time of sentence

Prison sentence of 6 months or less
7 Years

3½ Years

Prison sentence of more than 6 months up to 2½ years
10 Years

5 Years

Probation
5 Years

2½ Years

Fine, Community Service, Supervised Attendance Order
5 Years

2½ Years

Absolute Discharge, Admonishment
6 Months

6 Months

Working out when a sentence will be spent:

Sentence
Age
Date of Sentence
Rehab Period
Date Sentence will be spent
Fine
19
May 2004
5 Years
May 2009

Please note: If you have been sentenced in front of a jury for an
offence which has been committed during a previous rehabilitation
period, you may find that the second conviction makes the first
rehabilitation period longer.

Example of an extended rehabilitation period:

Sentence
Age
Date of Sentence
Rehab Period
Date Sentence will be spent
Fine
19
May 2004
5 Years
May 2009*
Prison 10 months
21
July 2006
10 Years
July 2016
* The first date of May 2009 will now be extended to July 2016; both
sentences will now be spent in July 2016.

HR SERVICES

APPLICATION FORM

STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL

Please complete the details below, which are required for recruitment
purposes and attach a copy of your Curriculum Vitae together with a
letter of application

Post Title: Research Fellow Ref: 12861

Department: Nursing & Midwifery

Where did you see this vacancy?

Surname

Forenames

Title

Home Address:

Email Address:

Post Code

Tel No

National Insurance Number

Are you currently employed by the University of Stirling : YES/NO

If any members of your immediate family are employed by the
University, please give their name, relationship and post

EDUCATION -1ST Degree

Subject(s)

University/College - Date Attended

Higher Degree

Subject(s)

University /College - Date Attended

Higher Diploma

Subject(s)

University/College - Date Attended

Other Professional Qualifications

PRESENT/LAST EMPLOYMENT

Name of Employer & Position Held:

Present or last salary:

Next Salary Review Date & Salary expected at review:

Please give minimum notice period required by your employer

REFERENCES: The University requires to consult referees before
making appointments and the referees should preferably be past
employers or colleagues who have experience of your work. If you
have changed your name since knowing the referee, please state the
name by which you will be known.

Name:

Position:

Address:

Tel No:

Email Address:

Name:

Position:

Address:

Tel No:

Email Address:

Name:

Position:

Address:

Tel No:

Email Address:

DECLARATION

In order to work in the UK, at the University of Stirling, I will /
will not need a work permit (delete as appropriate).

I declare that the statements I have made on this form are to the
best of my knowledge true and complete.

* To join this list or to look at the archived previous *
* messages visit: *
* http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/Anthropology-Matters.HTML *
* If you have ALREADY subscribed: to send a message to all *
* those currently subscribed to the list,just send mail to: *
* *
* Enjoyed the mailing list? Why not join the new *
* CONTACTS SECTION @ www.anthropologymatters.com *
* an international directory of anthropology researchers *