ENVIROETHICS  2006

ENVIROETHICS 2006

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Obituary: John Livingston, Naturalist 1923-2006

David Orton <[log in to unmask]>

Discussion forum for environmental ethics.

Sun, 29 Jan 2006 08:20:27 -0400

text/plain

Hello fellow list members:
It was with sadness that I read in Saturday's Globe and Mail of the
death of John Livingston, the very important Canadian ecophilosopher
and naturalist. Two books of his have hugely influenced me, and I
continue to consult them on frequent occasions. They are _The Fallacy
of Wildlife Conservation_(1981) and  _Rogue Primate: An exploration
of human domestication_(1994).  I always thought of Livingston as a
true fundi in his thinking. I had read a bit about his struggles with
David Suzuki over the content of that CBC TV series The Nature of
Things. Livingston wrote to me in the mid 80s expressing his support
for the philosophical orientation of our then environmental group,
The North Shore Environmental Web in Nova Scotia. This group was
headed in a deep ecology direction and Livingston had seen a copy of
our basic orientation document where we defined ourselves as opposing
"resourcism" and believing in the inherent value of all of nature.

Thanks, John Livingston, for remaining true to your beliefs and for
inspiring so many of us. Through your writings you have been a
magnificent ecocentric role model, who has showed us the death course
that industrial society is on.

David

"I no longer believe that there is, in practice, such a thing as a
'renewable' resource. Once a thing is perceived as having some
utility - any utility - and is thus perceived as a 'resource,' its
depletion is only a matter of time. I know of no wildlife that is
being 'renewed' anywhere - not yellow birch or hemlock or anchovies
or marlins or leopards or salmon or bowhead whales or anything else.
'Renewable resource' is self-contradictory incoherence, as least as
applied to wildlife." _The Fallacy of Wildlife Conservation_, p.43.

******

The Globe and Mail
Saturday, January 28, 2006 Page S13

John Livingston, Naturalist 1923-2006

An unapologetic lover of nature who was blessed with tenacity and
optimism, he took an uncompromising view of human arrogance and its
role in destroying the environment, writes SANDRA MARTIN

By SANDRA MARTIN

Abear of a man with a gruff, nicotine-drenched voice, John Livingston
was a naturalist, a broadcaster, an author and a teacher. For years,
he was the gravelly voice-over of the Hinterland Who's Who series, a
zoological equivalent of Historica's Heritage Minutes that brought
the sounds and descriptions of the common loon and other indigenous
species to radio and television audiences in the 1960s.

Through the Nature Conservancy of Canada, The Nature of Things on
television, books such as The Fallacy of Wildlife Conservation and
Rogue Primate (which won the Governor-General's literary award in
1994), he delivered his stern, uncompromising view of human arrogance
and culpability in the destruction of the natural environment. In the
process, he influenced environmentalists such as Graeme Gibson, Monte
Hummel, Farley Mowat and David Suzuki, and countless numbers of
viewers, readers and students.

He had two mottos. The first, "Ignorance more frequently begets
confidence than does knowledge," was a quote from Charles Darwin that
he hung on the wall of his study. The other was an observation from
British satirist Kingsley Amis that he recited frequently: "If a
piece of writing doesn't offend somebody, there's probably something
wrong with it."

"He was one of the most determined men I've met," said writer Farley
Mowat, who names Mr. Livingston as a definite influence on his own
thinking about the environment: "We were going to play out our roles
as the great exploiters and then we were going to go down the drain."
Unlike "dewy-eyed optimists," Mr. Livingston "had a bulldog quality,
a clarity of vision and he was extraordinarily honest."

Geneticist David Suzuki said Mr. Livingston was crucial from a
philosophical standpoint for the whole environmental movement. Back
in the 1970s, Dr. Suzuki had an anthropomorphic view of nature, which
meant that he believed "humans were at the centre of the action." Mr.
Livingston's radically different bio-centric stance regarded humans
as just another species. "It took a long time for me to understand
his position and it was a very important part of me coming to
understand the environmental movement in a much deeper way."

Although Mr. Livingston was greatly respected, he also had a
reputation as a naysayer, and a misanthrope who was against almost
any form of commercial or resource development. "We didn't always
agree," admitted Monte Hummel, president emeritus of the World
Wildlife Fund. They remained friends, but they argued frequently. Mr.
Livingston was an idealist who felt, for example, that the Arctic
should not be developed at all and Mr. Hummel was a pragmatist who
was keen on building consensus and achieving what was possible,
rather than insisting on only doing the right thing for the right reasons.

This attitude led to arguments with Dr. Suzuki and other colleagues
when he and Mr. Livingston worked together on A Planet for The Taking
in 1985. "I was involved in the anti-nuclear movement and his
attitude was if humans were stupid enough to develop nuclear weapons
and to drop them, well, so be it, the rest of nature would be better
off for it. I had a hard time with that."

John Allen Livingston was born in Hamilton. He was the elder, by
seven years, of two children of Harold Arthur Livingston, who was in
the construction business, and his wife Vera (Allen) Livingston. The
family moved to Toronto when John was a child and lived in North
Toronto on the edge of one of the ravines that riddle the city.

It is hard to say whether it was John's easy access to nature that
bred his early interest in newts, toads, frogs and birds or whether
it was his own innate fascination with the natural world that
attracted him to the creatures living nearby. Certainly his
commitment to defending nature dates from the city's decision in the
early 1930s to put a storm sewer "through my ravine," thereby
"ripping the heart out of the place," as he told Farley Mowat in
Rescue The Earth! Mr. Livingston remembered "weeping with rage, anger
and frustration. . . . It was like a piece coming out of my stomach,
and I was only 10 or 12."

After attending Brown Public School, he won a place at the University
of Toronto Schools, then a boys-only elite academic high school. The
Royal Ontario Museum was within easy walking distance and he often
ventured there to present staff with his latest trophies, including a
Cecropia Moth (a beautiful mottled lepidoptera with a six-inch
wingspan). The entomologists weren't impressed, but when he took an
unusual warbler to Jim Baillie in the ornithology department, he
found a mentor who would stimulate and nurture his love of birds and nature.

Academically gifted, he entered Victoria College at the University of
Toronto at 16, just as the Second World War broke out. He enlisted in
the Royal Canadian Navy and earned and was granted a degree in
English literature in 1943 "while on active service." After the war
ended, he was hired by Clarkson Gordon, the chartered accountants,
working there from 1946 to 1949, while pursuing his true vocation in
his free time: writing and delivering essays promoting conservation
in magazines, film, radio and television.

In 1948, he married art student Constance Margaret (always called
Peggy) Ellis. They eventually had three children, Sally, Zeke and
Least. Although some believe his youngest son was named after the
Least Bittern, a small member of the heron family, the name actually
came from painter Frederick Lansdowne, a family friend. Apparently
Mr. Lansdowne referred to him as The Least while he was in utero and
it stuck, even after the baby boy was hatched. The Livingstons
divorced in the mid-1970s.

Mr. Livingston joined the Audubon Society of Canada (now Nature
Canada) in 1955 as managing director and editor of its newsletter. A
well-spoken advocate, his blunt comments about budworm spraying and
proposals to raise and breed whooping cranes in captivity are now
accepted truths.

 From the CAS, he went to the Canadian Broadcasting Program as
executive producer for science programs on radio and television in
1962, arriving at the corporation two years after it launched The
Nature of Things, the first regular TV-science series in North
America. Mr. Livingston was a writer and presenter on many of the
early broadcasts on the landmark program, including Animals and Man
(which won a Thomas Edison Award in 1965), Danger: Man at Work and
Darwin and the Galapagos.

He had also begun publishing books based on the programs he was
making for television and radio. Darwin and the Galapagos, with
broadcaster Lister Sinclair appeared in 1966 under the CBC imprint.
He revealed his love of birding in Birds of the Northern Forest with
paintings by J. Frederick Lansdowne (McClelland & Stewart, 1966) and
followed that with Birds of the Eastern Forest, Vols. 1 and 2, again
using Mr. Lansdowne's paintings (M&S, 1968 and 1970).

He left the CBC in 1968 to work freelance and continued to contribute
to The Nature of Things on an occasional basis. The following year,
he formed a consulting company called LDL: Environmental Research
Associates with lawyer Aird Lewis and ornithologist Bill Gunn, two
men he knew well as founding members of The Nature Conservancy of
Canada. Their first big job occurred in the mid-1970s when they
worked for the Mackenzie Valley Pipeline inquiry headed by Justice
Thomas Berger.

After five years, Mr. Livingston's partners bought him out, because,
as Mr. Lewis explained, if you are going to be a consultant you have
to give your advice to the client based on scientific evidence, not
your personal moral stance.

Afterward, Mr. Livingston found the perfect perch for a man of his
temperament, skills and passions: teaching in the Faculty of
Environmental Studies at the fledgling York University. Although he
had few of the paper credentials now deemed essential for an academic
post, he had a storehouse of knowledge, a passion for his subject and
the performance skills of a veteran broadcaster. The students loved
him. One in particular, Ursula Moller Jolin, then a graduate student,
found him fascinating. He was "interested in so many things," and "he
knew so many things" and "he had a memory like a mainframe computer."

"He was a very inspiring teacher," she added, remembering one class
in particular in which three professors, a trained Jesuit, an atheist
(Mr. Livingston) and an economist, gave a class on
cultural/historical perspectives on environmental studies. "It was
absolutely riveting because there we had a platter of different
opinions that were extremely well debated. It generated a lot of
excitement among students."

Mr. Livingston continued to write books and essays, but his opinions
were becoming more despairing and his arguments more entrenched as he
retreated from the opportunistic and pragmatic world of commerce and
public policy into a rarefied and idealized philosophical atmosphere.

Mr. Livingston and Ms. Jolin married in 1985. He retired in 1993 and
was appointed an emeritus professor and given an honorary degree.
They moved to Ottawa in the late 1990s and, after surviving the 1998
ice storm, they made plans to move to Saltspring Island, where they
settled in 2000. An unrepentant smoker, he suffered from lung and
heart disease in his final years.

John Allen Livingston was born in Hamilton on Nov. 10, 1923. He died
on Jan. 17, 2006, on Saltspring Island, B.C., after suffering a
massive heart attack. He was 82. He is survived by his second wife,
Ursula, his three children, Sally, Zeke and Least. He also leaves his
sister Judith and two grandchildren.

	Visit the Green Web Home Page at:
  	http://home.ca.inter.net/~greenweb/