EVIDENCE-BASED-HEALTH  December 2005

EVIDENCE-BASED-HEALTH December 2005

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Can clinical trials ever be truly ethical?

Paul Glasziou <[log in to unmask]>

Paul Glasziou <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 6 Dec 2005 07:20:34 +0000

text/plain

Dear Edwin,
Thanks for passing on. Its odd that the central example of an
"experiment" used was Tuskegee which was *not* a randomised  trial.
I'll assume that is ignorance rather than malicious misuse. But it
does raise the interesting question of whether participation in
trials is harmful (or beneficial) to your health. The best current
review of this says its neutral (see abstract below).
Cheers
Paul Glasziou

Vist GE, Hagen KB, Devereaux PJ, Bryant D, Kristoffersen DT, Oxman
AD. Systematic review to determine whether participation in a trial
influences outcome. BMJ. 2005 May 21;330(7501):1175.
OBJECTIVE: To systematically compare the outcomes of participants in
randomised controlled trials (RCTs) with those in comparable
non-participants who received the same or similar treatment.
DATA SOURCES: Bibliographic databases, reference lists from eligible
articles, medical journals, and study authors.
REVIEW METHODS: RCTs and cohort studies that evaluated the clinical
outcomes of participants in RCTs and comparable non-participants who
received the same or similar treatment.
RESULTS: Five RCTs (six comparisons) and 50 cohort studies (85
comparisons) provided data on 31,140 patients treated in RCTs and
20,380 comparable patients treated outside RCTs. In the five RCTs, in
which patients were given the option of participating or not, the
comparisons provided limited information because of small sample
sizes (a total of 412 patients) and the nature of the questions
considered. 73 dichotomous outcomes were compared, of which 59
reported no statistically significant differences. For patients
treated within RCTs, 10 comparisons reported significantly better
outcomes and four reported significantly worse outcomes.
Significantly heterogeneity was found (I2 = 89%) among the
comparisons of 73 dichotomous outcomes; none of our a priori
explanatory factors helped explain this heterogeneity. The 18
comparisons of continuous outcomes showed no significant differences
in heterogeneity (I2 = 0%). The overall pooled estimate for
continuous outcomes of the effect of participating in an RCT was not
significant (standardised mean difference 0.01, 95% confidence
interval -0.10 to 0.12).
CONCLUSION: No strong evidence was found of a harmful or beneficial
effect of participating in RCTs compared with receiving the same or
similar treatment outside such trials.

At 06/12/2005, edwin amalraj wrote:
>My Dear Friends,
>
>     This Column appeared in the Daily News paper. I am sending it
> for your  information. I hope Content is not new to the Scientific
> community. However, Scientific matters are made available to the
> public now a days.
>
><http://www.hindu.com/2005/12/06/stories/2005120603081000.htm>http://www.hindu.com/2005/12/06/stories/2005120603081000.htm
>
>Can clinical trials ever be truly ethical?
>
>Unless the rights of those who participate in clinical trials and
>their ability to get the best treatment in case of injury or
>infection are guaranteed, the trials will not be fair even if they
>yield useful scientific results.
>FOR THE benefit of the many, is it all right to endanger the health
>of a few? This question lies at the heart of bioethics. It was
>central to the discussions held over three days at the First
>National Bioethics Conference organised by the Indian Journal of
>Medical Ethics in Mumbai last week. The timing could not have been
>more appropriate coming as it did on the eve of World AIDS Day,
>December 1. For India is now poised to undertake several important
>clinical trials on the AIDS vaccine.
>In a country where the poor and the most vulnerable have minimal
>access to health care, ensuring "informed consent" for clinical drug
>trials is an issue with many dimensions but above all ethical
>aspects. How do you check that the person who is being used as a
>guinea pig for a new drug actually knows what is happening? For
>decades, women's groups have been in the forefront exposing how poor
>women have been used for clinical trials of various contraceptives
>without them fully understanding the consequences.
>The issue of ethics has taken on greater urgency in the face of the
>growing private sector interest in conducting clinical drug trials
>in India. According to T.V. Padma writing in Nature (July 28, 2005),
>while the average cost of a clinical trial in the U.S. is $180
>million, in India it would cost $100 million. Not surprisingly,
>Contract Research Organisations (CRO) are setting up shop in India
>and recruiting people to conduct such trials. Indian companies stand
>to gain from their being held in India. According to one estimate,
>U.S. and European pharmaceutical companies could spend as much as
>$1.5 billion per year on clinical trials in India once the system is in place.
>Although "bioethics" as an issue was first raised in the context of
>Nazi medical experiments in the concentration camps, there have been
>several more recent incidents of medical experimentation ! where the
>health of the participant was sacrificed for a so-called "larger
>cause." The most scandalous of these was the Tuskegee Syphilis Trial
>in which between 1932 and 1972, the U.S. Public Health Service
>experimented on 399 black men from Tuskegee, Alabama, one of the
>poorest areas of the United States. The men, all poor illiterate
> [...]

Paul Glasziou
Department of Primary Health Care &
Director, Centre for Evidence-Based Practice, Oxford
ph: 44-1865-227055  www.cebm.net