Re: EDRMS prices

Heather Jack <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 10 Sep 2005 21:11:14 +0100

text/plain

Hi to all in the List,

I have been reading the discussion on EDRMS prices with great interest. At
risk of appearing to "sit on the wall" I have real sympathies with both
sides of the debate. This is probably because of my facilitating role
between suppliers and clients. I work with clients to establish their
information (my catch-all for data, information, records and knowledge)
management needs prior to creating a specification leading to invitations to
tender and then project managing the subsequent implementation all the way
through to the business support required as the initial project phase gives
way to change management and system/process maturity and evolution in line
with the ever developing and changing needs of the client.

The reality of the client's starting position currently is a need to provide
ball park figures to their finance team and board. I always suggest that an
initial budget should be approved to properly undertake an audit and
assessment of requirements. Those who hold the purse stings in the SME
market place (public and private) to which I deliver my services are not yet
well enough informed to understand the value of this phase. The finance
department/board would appear to be more comfortable to deal with overspent
budgets based on unrealistic ball park figures and the related juggling of
different budgets - especially the training budget which can swallow up a
multitude of activities - rather than understand that a realistic assessment
of the costs to deliver what they really need must be based on a phased
implementation that takes account of available funds over several years.

I believe that comprehension of the real value that can be reaped from a
truly successful implementation is currently a slow dissolving pill
comprising a series of "lightbulbs". By the time the initial, demanded ball
park figure has been recognized as insufficient to meet the ongoing costs to
manage the incredibly important change management and "tweaking" phases, the
organization will have realized the value of additional investment and are
prepared, as I mentioned before, to find the additional funding to support
this.

While professionally I find this frustrating - as a consultant I find it
difficult to accept the hard fact that approaching projects from this "ball
park figure" will inevitably lead to project overspend - it is currently the
reality that I have to operate within.

My hope is that as organizations slowly improve their interdepartmental
communications and begin to operate as much from a process driven rather
than departmentally driven basis, they will adopt more realistic methods of
approving projects rather than isolating the "costs" of a project because of
its concrete, direct, quantitative nature. Hopefully at the same time the
ratio of reported "successful" projects with realistic ROI figures and
stories, will begin to outweigh the widely reported "failed" IT projects and
lead to a sea change in how records management and other projects are
initially approved and budgeted for.

While this records management forum is a brilliant talking shop for those
immersed in the records management discipline, the debate and awareness of
the direct connection between effective information management and bottom
line, quality service delivery, target achievement etc.. needs to be taken
to those individuals and teams - finance, board room etc..  who may not have
the same insights and understanding of the records management discipline but
who hold the purse strings and have themselves to juggle a series of
priority operational areas, some of which they currently have greater
familiarity and understanding. It is hard to move people from their comfort
zone of familiarity but it is a key role of records managers, individually
and as a group to pursue if we are to properly achieve our goals.

As more emphasis is put on planning integrated business intelligence reports
from records management and related business systems at the system planning
stage, and ensuring that the output of these reports is presented to the
right people in the right terminology, this will become an easier exercise.
We have to translate our appreciation of benefits into their language.

The challenge is there for in-house records management teams, suppliers and
consultants alike - lets take those bulls by the horns!

Heather

Heather Jack
Director
HJBS Ltd
Unlocking the Value of Your Information
07753740109
0141 423 6555

This email is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual
to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, be advised
that you have received this email in error and that any use, dissemination,
forwarding, printing or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. If you
have received this email in error please contact Heather Jack by replying to
this email