DC-COLLECTIONS  July 2005

DC-COLLECTIONS July 2005

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: What is the question we need to answer? (Was RE: Results of poll on expressing format of items)

John Roberts <[log in to unmask]>

DCMI Collection Description Group <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 6 Jul 2005 11:03:25 +1200

text/plain

Thanks for keeping us on track Pete!

Without doubt
"How (if at all) should we represent the information that a collection C
includes some items of media-type M or physical form P?"

Is _a_ question ;-) and a question well worth answering, so let's stick
with it (for now!).

There is a certain purity about (a) which is appealing. Though I would
rephrase the position as "you cannot directly represent this information
in a description of the collection - but it could be inferred from
descriptions of the items and the relationships between the items and
the collection." Of course, his would mean that Diane's aggregator - who
doesn't know about the individual items - couldn't convey the
information.  The information is, in this view, actually comprised of
multiple statements:
Collection C includes item i1
Collection C includes item i2
Etc And
Item i1 has the format media-type M1 or physical form P1
Item i2 has the format media-type M2 or physical form P2
Etc
For each of the "some items"

For me, the collection is more than just the sum of its parts. In all
this, I think we need to be careful about other elements too. Perhaps
another question of relevance is "what do we understand to be the
content of a collection"? I raise this, because several other terms in
the CDAP also reference the items, rather than (apparently) the
collection directly - e.g subject, language, contents date range ...

Other terms clearly relate directly to the collection - e.g. creator
(interestingly the AP seems to take a different interpretation of
"content of the resource" in this case).

On the other hand, there is a pragmatic appeal in (c). Its imple, it
meets the functional requirement, and as a new property it can have
pretty much whatever semantics we want. Perhaps it is a property worth
defining and using even though it is may be inconsistent with the
one-to-one rule and ther abstract model. If its of sufficient utility,
does that matter?

John