Re: MOODLE with LAMS

Helen Foster <[log in to unmask]>

Virtual Learning Environments <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 8 Jun 2005 16:59:10 +0100

text/plain

Re. Moodle scalability, please check Martin Dougiamas' comment about
LAMP configuration for potentially 17,000 users:
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=23164&parent=109338&username=g
uest

Helen Foster

-----Original Message-----
From: Virtual Learning Environments [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Laurence Fouweather
Sent: 08 June 2005 15:48
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [VLES] MOODLE with LAMS

Re Scalability - its not just the hardware speed/ram size etc that
affects
how scaleable a product is - eventually (depending on the OS) the system
will simply run out of steam. This is due to the way the software is put
together and how it handles multiple threads etc.

This is why for large scale transaction processing systems ( which is
what
some VLE's are these days- look at what some of the large US State
Universities are doing - 20,000+ users are not unusual) many
organisations
use systems that distribute the load across applications and database
servers running things like ORACLE and SQL Server with load balancing
rather
than MySQL.

I really like MySQL but would not dream of using it for an application
with
1000's of users. As far as I know a multiple server set up to provide
one
virtual system is not yet possible with Moodle - (which I also like -
but
only for the right size and scope of environment)

What is important I think, is to define what you are trying to achieve,
size
the specification and plan for rapid growth, look at all the possible
solutions, carefully look at ALL the costs of ownership and not just the
capital costs, then make a choice which is the closest fit to your
particular application and organisation.

Whether it is open source or not must of course be factored in - but
with a
very careful look at the costs and benefits involved - don't forget
existing
staff still cost money unless they are all working for the love of it!

Laurence

Laurence Fouweather
Director
Oxford Academic Technology Ltd