PSI-EXTRA  June 2005

PSI-EXTRA June 2005

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: artistic interventions, toothless shilling macbeth

Laura Winton <[log in to unmask]>

Performance Studies international Extra <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 19 Jun 2005 20:51:49 -0500

text/plain

* This email is sent via the PSi-Extra mail-list. 'Reply' will send your response to that list *

Theater mag didn't grant me permission to reprint the article on any of my
listserves, and I'm going to respect that because I know how widely that
gets disseminated once something goes out online.  (Which was why I asked
first.)  But definitely check it out.  The other concern raised in the
article is the pairing of the NEA and DoD to create "official culture".
Again, sooooo relevant with that Saunders book, except that now we don't
need the cloak and dagger of the CIA to manipulate culture.  We can just
"embed" actors and directors into the military.

One of the interesting things is that troops quoted in the article/editorial
drew the connection between military leaders run amok, "like Noriega and
Hussein".  Apparently the idea of illegitimately seized power did not ring a
bell with them as Americans.  I LOVED your idea about the witches. That's
pretty great.

I do have a lot of faith in the audience to be able to make meaning for
themselves, but I do think you need to create a little fork in the road, a
little cloud of doubt, something that puts the idea in their mind not to
take things at face value.  I don't know if that's being done or
not--somehow I doubt it.  (But you know, the writer in Theater has his angle
and his perspective as well to be aware of and it's easy as someone apt to
agree with him for me to adopt his cynicism about this uncritically.  No
one's communication is without an agenda these days, so I don't think
anything, even something written by someone of my own ideology, should be
taken completely uncritically.)

As far as comparing UK to US, keep in mind that New York is not the rest of
the United States!  It's very much its own thing in many ways, which is what
makes it such a great place and also such an easy political target from all
sides.  It's easy when you live there to forget that not everyone else
around the country is as open, as liberal, as used to experimental
performance, as apt to "intervene" in performance, etc.  Again, here in
Minnesota, the idea of the audience intervening in a performance is
virtually unimaginable as a certain level decorum is a higher social value
here.  (And at the same time, Minneapolis is a town that loves its theatre
and art and likes to think themselves sophisticated enough that they're "in
on the joke" and so would not intervene as it would make them seem like they
weren't getting it.)  There are a lot of parts of the US that are very very
uptight too.