Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Naked Barbies et al

Theresa K Smalec <[log in to unmask]>

Performance Studies international Extra <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 2 Jun 2005 22:37:56 -0400

text/plain

* This email is sent via the PSi-Extra mail-list. 'Reply' will send your response to that list *

Hi Laura,

Well, I might be right about the ties between
visibility and obscenity, but I might also be wrong.
When it comes to defining "obscenity," people
typically get offended by that which they can see:
that which is explicitly sexual, prurient,
heavy-handed, or otherwise difficult to watch. They
rarely object to what’s *not* offered on-screen or
on-stage.

Consider public reactions to the 1963 premiere of
Flaming Creatures. In his recent book, _On Jack
Smith’s Flaming Creatures and Other Secret-Flix of
Cinemaroc_ (2001), J. Hoberman hails it as “the only
American avant-garde film whose reception
approximates the scandals that greeted L’Age d’Or or
Zero de Conduite” (36). This film was “reviled,
rioted over, and banned” (36) for its graphic
displays of penises, bare bosoms, and “abnormal"
sexual activity; it was not condemned for what it
did not show.

However, there are complications to my claim about
the connection between scandal and visibility, for
Flaming Creatures actually *failed* to present forms
of pornography that normative viewers find
stimulating, despite moral objections. As one
anonymous American senator (Strom Thurmond)
explained: “That movie was so sick, I couldn’t even
get aroused.” And as Hoberman justly concludes, the
film was ultimately banned not merely for showing
sex, but rather for its “extravagantly queer”
depictions of male genitalia:

Those rudely brandished dicks, neither wholly erect
nor entirely flaccid, are only penises. As funny as
it is poignant, Flaming Creatures is guilty of a
criminal disrespect more serious than burning the
flag. In so casually representing the male organ, it
desecrates the underlying symbol of all power
structures, including the U.S. Senate. (51)

But now you've got me thinking about the
"non-visible" aspects of Abramovic's re-performance
of SEEDBED. I'm thinking about "extravagant
queerness," and the way this phenomenon might play
itself out in her re-do of SEEDBED. Most people
think that other people get sexually aroused by the
way you look: nice butt, tight abs, great hair, sexy
smile, etc...

But Abramovic is apparently going to try to turn
herself on via Acconci's method, which was to
*listen* to peoples' footsteps/bodies move
throughout the gallery space. He would comment on
how he wanted them to stop so he could press against
them, squeeze them into corners, press his eyes
against their hair, etc... In the transcript of his
piece, he talks about "following" spectators in
visual terms, as if he can "see" them. But he can't:
he can only *hear* them and their movements. That is
a pretty "queer" and unconventional way of getting
turned on, and perhaps in itself might be deemed as
"scandalous."

I mean, it *is* sort of an act of "desecration" with
respect to our cultural standards of desire. To
think that someone can get turned on by people
he/she can't see, has no idea what they look like,
if they are hideously appalling or conventionally
gorgeous... What sort of "weirdo" could orgasm to
the "image" (or footsteps, rather) of someone whom
they can't actually see?
[But then again, the Internet has changed a lot of
this "desecration" of conventional desire: what
sorts of "weirdos" would have cyber-sex or hook up
on live blind dates with people whom they meet
on-line]?

The other thing Abramovic might get in trouble for
(if anything) is the VOCAL/VERBAL component of her
piece. Unlike female genetalia, which does not seem
to be "offensive" or "powerful" enough in itself (in
constrast to the penis) to warrant charges of "legal
obscenity," the female VOICE having orgasims might
pack a more "potent" punch. Perhaps the sounds of a
woman coming could be defined as prurient, offensive
to the general community, and lacking in redeeming
social value?

Will viewers/listeners "know" it is "obscene" when
they hear it? Will they be able to discern anything
non-prurient or brimming with social value in
Abramovic's utterances? It's hard to say, but when I
hear the soundtracks for porn movies, I don't focus
on those aspects. And if I ever played an audio tape
of a porn film somewhere in public, I'm sure plenty
of community members would be very offended and/or
pruriently turned on.

Then again, it might be a day of silence, for all we
know. Lots of people are quiet, and if Abramovic is
one of those people, then there will be nothing to
complain about: nothing to see, and nothing to hear.
You'll just have to "feel" it in a Ray Williams
"structures of feeling" kind of way, or imagine it's
happening. But on the other hand, if she follows
Acconci's transcript, even without incorporating any
sounds of her own, that could definately be
construed as offensive, prurient, and possibly
lacking in social value... it's kind of a gamble.

I would never call the mayor on her! Are you
kidding? Unless I thought he'd enjoy the
performance, of course, which he very well might.

> You might be right about visible genitalia and
masturbation.  My
> memory from
> studying Constitutional Law "back in the day" (as
my goddaughter
> says) is
> that pornography is defined by community standards
and is a "you
> know it
> when you see it" thing, including those
definitions of no redeeming
> socialvalue and causes prurient thought.  I'm
remembering now some
> place I saw on
> tv that was doing Shakespeare with strippers to
get around
> obscenity laws.
> Hmmm . . . .
>
> Having the support of the Guggenheim no doubt
helps, as opposed to
> doing it
> in a small gallery somewhere.  Lots of neocons see
no redeeming
> social value
> in modern "degenerate" art.  Remember Guiliani's
attempt to shut
> down that
> show with the British Artists and the buffalo dung
used on the
> virgin Mary
> painting.  (That was shocking to me because out
here in the "wilds" of
> Minnesota, no one batted an eye at that piece at
all.) Again, just
> becauseyou have the right to do something doesn't
mean someone's
> not going to try
> and stop you.
>
> I think if she hasn't already staged it, or if she
stages it again,
> youshould call the mayor's office and complain
about Abramovic's
> piece and see
> what happens.  That's they only way we'll ever
know for sure.
> Let's get
> scientific about this.
>
> Hahahahaha.
>
> Cheers.

Theresa K Smalec
> [...]
> of the material
> taken as a whole must appeal to a prurient interest
> in sex, (2) the
> material is patently offensive because it offends
> contemporary
> community standards relating to the description or
> representation of
> sexual matters, and (3) the material is utterly
> without redeeming
> social value.
>
> 1. The dominant theme of "Seven Easy Pieces"
> revolves around the
> theoretical, practical, legal, ethical, and other
> possibilities of "re-
> performance." The theme of this material as a whole
> does not appeal to
> a prurient interest in sex. Even her re-performance
> of the SEEDBED
> piece does not appeal to a prurient interest in sex:
> she's not
> literally *having* sex with anyone; she won't
> *visibly* be having sex
> with herself; and masturbating women are not
> "legally obscene" anyway,
> so I think she'd have to grow a penis for this to be
> considered a
> crime.
>
> 2. It would be hard to argue that Abramovic's
> material is "patently
> offensive because it offends contemporary community
> standards relating
> to the description or representation of sexual
> matters." A woman/artist masturbating in a highbrow
> musuem? Realistically, who in Manhattan is going to
> be offended by that? I bet it would be
> standing-room-only if more members of the general
> public knew who Vito Acconic is, or about the
> specific performance of his that Abramovic plans to
> re-do.
>
> The other thing is we're talking about *Abramovic*
> here: she's an elusive entity unto herself. Karen
> Finley and Penny Arcade "offend community standards"
> on a regular basis, but Marina Abramovic? It's sort
> of like trying to imagine Martha Stewart advertizing
> feminine hygeine products. Maybe it's because she's
> slightly older, and not known for past obscenities,
> and suavely European, but who would call the cops on
> her? (Then again, who would call the cops on Martha
> Stewart: I guess Abramovic is an ideal target from
> that perspective).
>
> 3. The material she's performing is obviously not
> "without redeeming
> social value." Why would the Guggenheim of all
> places agree to her
> staging it there if her material was abject,
> irredeemable, and lacking in social value?
>
> So in general, I don;t think Abramovic has much to
> worry about. But then again, in this age, you really
> can't be sure. Look what happened to Spongebob and
> his friend to Starfish, or to Buster the Rabbit, or
> to Monica Lewinsky and Clinton. And it is pretty
> darn unusual for a woman to be doing this act in the
> first place in such a "public" way, so that alone
> might invite some complaints from the Ann Coulter
crowd.

http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=psi-extra&A=1