NEUROPSYCHIATRY  June 2005

NEUROPSYCHIATRY June 2005

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Fwd: [Clinical question] How early to begin antiepileptic treatment? [encl. Lancet June 2005 article

Stephen Brown <[log in to unmask]>

Stephen Brown <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 28 Jun 2005 09:57:12 +0100

text/plain

My impression is that the NICE guidelines took into account the Marson
study, as precursers of this final Lancet report have been doing the
rounds for a while in the epilepsy world.

I think it's been known for some years that response to treatment
depends more on epileptic syndrome and aetiology than on number of
untreated seizures (ages ago a wonderful study from South America that
Ley Sander was involved in where they had loads of folk who'd been
having untreated seizures for years & their prognosis for seizure
control when eventually treated was just as good as those newly
diagnosed studies from King's), except possibly in certain
circumstances, such as potential kindling in mesial temporal lobe
epilepsy (controversial, I know), and of course where traumatic brain
injury secondary to seizures complicates the picture.

Reasons for treating early are mainly QOL related, staring with
reducing the likelihood of seizure-related death (I'm not sure this
study was sufficiently powered to address that) through preventing
children losing out on education & social development due to minor
seizure activity. However, if you think those things don't matter, it's
OK to wait.

My practice is the same as Jonathan's

Stephen

Professor Stephen Brown
Peninsula Medical School
Developmental Disabilities Research & Education Group
c/o Cornwall Partnership NHS Trust
Unit 10 Bodmin Business Centre
Harleigh Road
BODMIN PL31 1AH
United Kingdom
Tel: +44 (0)1208 256233 Fax: +44 (0)1208 256232