Re: 2006 Academy Arts

Peter Hanke <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 12 Apr 2005 16:56:40 +0200

text/plain

From Robs points (and others) I would like to contribute to this discussion.

Even though I agree on the disturbing loss of impact from the arts in
various environments, I tend to argue towards a change of paradigm for
people like us. If we can't cope with this challenge and constantly panic on
the decline of business', politics' etc. understanding of the arts, we are
not creative enough, not taking our own medicine.
In my opinion the answer is not "as much art as possible in whatever form in
management" - and to be completely frank: those who argue for this have not
understood the value of art in general. The job legitimizing the presence of
aesthetic thinking is a never ending state of mind - art must constantly
challenge the established truths and myths - even in our community.

Please understand the two different approaches, I am using in my effort to
understand the new field of artistic possibilities:
1. Inspiring organisations and leaders with the means of Philosophy & Art
2. Changing paradigms among musicians like a Trojan horse in the castle of
the music industry
(the latter is the most difficult part)

In Denmark, Holland and the UK this works pretty good after some years of
concept development and the tendency is definately not lack of interest from
people of power.

In between these two principles meet in very happy moments, where business
experience, insight, knowledge and musical performance emerge in surprising
new contexts, and the learning potential flourish for everyone present in a
non-strategic, aesthetic release of force. A piece of art itself.

The clue is that artists and academics must change just as much as the
business and politicians, we tend to critisize. We must stop "deliver" art,
inspiration (whatever we call it) and enforce the learning ability instead.
Let us start killing frases like "Art & Business" - a completely false
polarity, and "Creative Industries" - a contradiction above all as
creativity never can be industrialised. Let us admit that most of what we
have done so far, when arts are integrated in academic conferences or
management development, is pure entertainment - although sophisticated.

Best regards

Peter Hanke
Centre for Art & Leadership, CBS
Exart Performances