WORDGRAMMAR  2005

WORDGRAMMAR 2005

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: rationale for word-tyoe/word-token distinction?

Richard Hudson <[log in to unmask]>

Word Grammar <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 27 Sep 2005 08:27:03 +0100

text/plain

Dear And and Mark,
Thanks for this interesting exchange. My view of Dick is that there is
something permanent running through my various appearances on the world
stage (though I have no idea how to push this idea back to me when I was
much younger). I imagine this is a fundamental part of human (and maybe
animal) cognition - think of all the evidence of children expecting
objects to reappear when hidden, etc. and recognising individuals. On
the other hand, as Mark says, my properties vary from time to time, and
the only way to reconcile these time-bound properties with this
permanence is to distinguish tokens of Dick from the type Dick. So I
agree with And that we think of it as the same Dick who comes into the
room and who leaves it, I also agree with Mark that I'm like an event
which is bound to a particular time; and even if a word is like a
person, we can still distinguish tokens (with time-bound properties)
from the (timeless) type.
    Dick

--
Richard Hudson, FBA,