Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Artistic New Orleans

Stephen Vincent <[log in to unmask]>

Poetryetc provides a venue for a dialogue relating to poetry and poetics <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 6 Sep 2005 11:23:13 -0700

text/plain

In July of 1968 I was in New Orleans. Hellishly hot. Midnight Cowboy, the
just out movie was playing. For the 10 o'clock movie, I stood in a long line
filled with young men, many of them in drag. I had no idea that I was about
to see one of the first (somewhat) openly gay movies in America.
At the jazz museum I met - ironically I thought - a young blond woman behind
desk who later generously took me on a ride around different parts of the
City. She said her father was an inventor for NASA and his name was left on
a plaque on the moon. For all these years I have tried to make it a fit - a
blond at work in the jazz museum who also her family name on the moon.
Metaphysical conceits notwithstanding, sometimes it's impossible to make
things fit - even when they do!
Then there was that Mark Twain steamboat tour guide booming his voice across
the waters - but that is another story.
But Codrescu, Bukowski (once) and Ann Rice in New Orleans always seemed a
good mix. Faulkner's skewed Anglo romanticism about the City - octoroons et
always seemed that, skewed. And Sherwood Anderson also seemed a little out
of place. Wasn't Richard Wright (Blackboy) in New Orleans, too?
Amazing all this stuff comes gushing up.
The last time I was in New Orleans was for an American Book Association
convention. That time I was deeply conscious of the anger of young blacks on
the streets towards whites - visiting tourists. But then we also got to
dance to the Neville Brothers. Which was great.
There is so much sadness now - I feel it coming down across so many.
Take advantage while we can before the media begins to fill us with fake
sugar and nostalgia (the 'docs' are coming.)

Stephen V