Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Neutral

Jeff Root <[log in to unmask]>

A group for the academic discussion of current issues in podiatry <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 26 Aug 2005 17:18:59 -0700

text/plain

Paul,

You wrote:
 There are three components to foot motion.
> They are the lateral foot : calcaneus, cuboid, toes 4 and 5
> the medial foot all the rest.
> The lateral foot allows
> Pronation and adduction thus allows the standing foot to move to the
> medial
> foot.
> It inhibits supination and abduction.
> The medial foot that allow running, jumping, climbing etc. allows
> supination
> and abduction and inhibits pronation and adduction.
> Finally the middle cunieform allows none of these motions. The line of
> action
> of the middle cueieform is talus neutral.
> This is why we have 5 bone in the mid foot.
> The heel has for standing the calcaneus.
> The foot has the talus.
> Easily summed up.
> All of these positions mentioned by others are totally reliant on gravity
> and
> muscle tone.
> Joint position is fixed and thus so called neutral is never neutral
> despite the
> best offers by dictionary.
> If you do not beleive me, come to our workshops.

We must differentiate between foot motion and STJ motion in order to discuss
the axis and nature of STJ motion.  I consider STJ motion to be only that
motion which occurs between the talus and calcaneus relative to each other.
The ankle joint, which has a triplane axis contributes greatly to foot
motion and makes appreciating the specific motion at the STJ all the more
difficult.  The MTJ contributes to a great deal of forefoot motion.  There
are two forms of STJ motion.  They are open chain and closed chain.  The
simplest way to appreciate the axis of the STJ is in the open chain when you
move the foot via the calcaneus about a static talus.  But when you move the
STJ in the open chain, since there is relative motion between the
talonavicular joint and the calcaneocuboid joint, some MTJ motion must
occur.  Therefore, using the forefoot as a reference indicates to some
extent what the STJ is doing, but forefoot motion is significantly
influenced by midtarsal and other joint motion.  Unless you completely
isolate the two osseous components that comprise the STJ, that being the
talus and the calcaneus, you are seeing motion which is the result of other
joints.

I have a crude theory (based on speculation more than anything!) that it may
be possible the STJ is actually a compression joint and when it moves it
disarticulates, in that the talus and calcaneus separate.  Under normal
circumstances much of what we think of as STJ motion may actually be
movement of the rearfoot as a unit (talocalcaneal unit).  At the distal
aspect, the motion occurs via the MTJ.  When there is a demand for greater
motion, then the STJ disarticulates.  It is much easier to move the STJ in
the open chain since the compression forces at the STJ are at a minimum.
When the foot is bearing weight, there is more compression force acting on
the STJ, and therefore less actual STJ motion occurs.  Have you ever noticed
that is seems impossible to produce the same degree of STJ or foot to leg
motion in stance that you can produce in a non-weightbearing condition?

Anatomically, the STJ is actually two entirely different joints.  The
posterior portion is the talocalcanean joint or true STJ (posterior,
superior facet of the calcaneus with the inferior facet of the talus.  The
anterior portion of what we call the STJ is actually the talocalcanean
portion of the talocalcaneonavicular joint (the under side of the head of
the talus articulates with the anterior and middle faces of the calcaneus,
which may be fused to form a single facet).  It is impossible to move the
talus relative to the calcaneus without separation between the two bones.
They have a close coupled position which may anatomically be what we call
the neutral position and any motion from that position seems to cause an
uncoupling of the talus and the calcaneus.  Both articular surfaces between
the calcaneus and the talus must disarticulate when the talus moves relative
to the calcaneus.

That's my junk theory!

I'm not sure I can really address the bulk of your reply because I
personally seem to have a difficult time comprehending or following your
method of discussing biomechanics.

Respectfully,
Jeff Root

This message was distributed by the Podiatry JISCmail list server

All opinions and assertions contained in this message are those of
the original author. The listowner(s) and the JISCmail service take
no responsibility for the content.

to leave the Podiatry email list send a message containing the text
leave podiatry
to [log in to unmask]

Please visit http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk for any further information