Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Neuroma ?

David Smith <[log in to unmask]>

A group for the academic discussion of current issues in podiatry <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 18 Feb 2005 14:05:14 -0000

text/plain

Dear Gwyneth

With the info you supply a diagnosis is difficult. Do you have HAV on the
r/foot with bunion or exostosis, you say there is no imflamation but the 2nd
MPJ is enlarged and soft tissue swelling occurs after waklking, and there is
some 3rd MPJ involvement with increased spacing. Is there pain on passive
plantarflexion of the 2nd? or is it more painful to dorsiflex?
Have you thought about Freibergs Infarction. Had a similar case a few weeks
ago, an ortho surgeon colleauge that I talked to advised that x ray can be
unreliable and MRI is better for diagnosis in some early cases.
If it is a plantar plate tear then you need to use strategies that reduce
2nd dorsiflexion moments, such as taping and padding until there is healing.
But it sounds as if Clive Chapman has it right already and you will have to
get used to wearing roomier shoes all the time or put up with the pain and
continue to cause trauma when using inapropriate shoes..Having said that the
7mm pad on top of the orthosis with 12dgs f/foot varus posting. No wonder
its tight.
I've never used more than 6dgs f/foot posting. Does anyone else commonly use
as much as 12dgs.

            Cheers Dave Smith