PODIATRY  2005

PODIATRY 2005

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: EVA vs Plastic/Carbon Fibre FFO's: Discuss

Bart <[log in to unmask]>

A group for the academic discussion of current issues in podiatry <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 25 Jan 2005 01:48:13 +0100

text/plain

Hello Stanley,

I have to concur with Kevin and Eric that kinetics (=kinematics or
movement  plus dynamics or the interplay of the acting forces) are
the essence of the play in biomechanical world.
Most of us are trained to look at  movement (and the resulting
position), but research is more and more pointing to the importance
of understanding how forces and force moments affect the function of
lower joints. Most of the times orthotic correction does not result
in a significant change of motion or position, but rather in
dynamics. The problem is that dynamics (forces and pressures) are
very difficult to estimate by eye or by conventional video while
motion and position can be well appreciated by rather simple means.
But in the future of podiatric practice, in my view, it will be
compulsory to use some advanced technology in order to observe and
understand the dynamics of the game. One cannot ignore that
mechanical overload and resulting injuries , most of the times, are
not due to excessive motion or position by itself, but rather to
excessive stress (loading forces) on the soft tissues (tendons,
ligaments etc...) and also on the bony contact areas of the joint.

Today I had a nice example where an orthotic correction will
alleviate pain  without necessarily affecting motion.
A patient with an excessive plantar flexed 1st ray (7mm) showed
excessive reaction of her peroneus longus, enough  to keep the
calcaneus in a more or less vertical position, but at the cost of
chronic pains. Inserting  a  everting valgus wedge did not
necessarily push the calcaneus in a more everted position, but it
will help the peroneus to balance the inverting action from to
plantar flexed 1st ray. So the net result is no real change in
position, but balancing all moments of force to net zero requires
less force of the peroneus as the valgus wedge is taking over part of
the load. So the overloaded peroneus may feel more relaxed now and
the pain subdued.
So if one  looks to position only , one is likely to miss the point.
But fortunately,  the happy patient will not care how it worked  and
consider you still to be a good podiatrist.

My two pence ...

Well, rest me to lay may brain asleep before early morning is catching up.
Good night,
Bart

> [...]
>When we talk about SI dysfunction, we are talking about position. When we
>are talking about leg length, we are talking about position. When most of
>podiatry talks about the foot, they are talking about position. When you
>talk about the foot, you are talking moments. It would seem to me that
>moments is the exception, not the rule when we talk about pathology. There
>are times that I will talk about the forces causing pathology, for instance
>how an equinus causes a posterior displacement of the center of gravity,
>and how this increases the tension to at heel off. But the bottom line is
>that I use dorsiflexion range of motion to determine my treatment, not
>moments.
>I think you need to explain how you measure these moments, and how this is
>used to treat a foot. I have read about the two finger push up test, is
>this what you use? Do you quantify it? Or go by feel?
>

>>On another note, feet that are maximally pronated at the STJ are very
>>common.  However, I don't know of any research that suggests that over 50
>>% of the population is maximally pronated at the STJ.  You must remember,
>>unless you are measuring the asymptomatic population and not just those
>>that come into your office for treatment, you will probably overestimate
>>the number of maximally pronated feet in the human population.  However, I
>>do think that over 50% of the population is within 2 degrees of being
>>maximally pronated at the STJ.  Not all these maximally pronated feet are
>>symptomatic and not all of these patients require treatment.
>>
>>I hope that no podiatrist recommends treatment for asymptomatic patients
>>simply because they are maximally pronated at the STJ.  One must remember
>>that maximally pronated feet may also have symptoms (e.g. lateral ankle
>>instability) caused by excessive STJ supination moments.
>
>I don't think any knowledgeable podiatrist will recommend treatment for
>asymptomatic patients. Regarding ankle sprains, you say that on maximally
>pronated feet, there is a supination moment that causes it. I can see if
>the moments are different at different parts of the gait cycle, but
>otherwise this is contradictory. I was wondering if you are familiar with
>Articular Deafferentiation as the etiology for chronic ankle sprains.
>
>Moments, like anything new, seems like it is the entire answer, and as time
>goes on, it eventually finds its proper place. I think it is good to
>explain some of the pathology, but clinically, in midstance position,
>movement seems more important.
>
>Respectfully,
>
>Stanley

>This message was distributed by the Podiatry JISCmail list server
>
>All opinions and assertions contained in this message are those of
>the original author. The listowner(s) and the JISCmail service take
>no responsibility for the content.
>
>to leave the Podiatry email list send a message containing the text

  Bart Van Gheluwe
Laboratory of Biomechanics
Vrije Universiteit Brussel -Fac. LK
Vakgroep BIOM