NEW-MEDIA-CURATING  2005

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING 2005

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Recent Books and Articles on Museums and Galleries -- Long Post -- 1/4

Ken Friedman <[log in to unmask]>

Ken Friedman <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 29 Sep 2005 07:37:22 +0200

text/plain

Recent Books and Articles on Museums and Galleries

Ken Friedman

September 2005

--

Dear Colleagues,

Two weeks ago, I sent an information request to
several lists seeking an up-to-date,
English-language textbook for a course designed
to introduce students to the realities of the
museum and gallery world and professional
practice in the museum and gallery field.

33 coleagues sent generous and extensive replies.

Here follows a compilation of the replies.

To set the context, I repeat the request. I am
seeking books and I am also seeking articles for
a compendium collection for a course with this

"This course will give students an insight into
the characteristics of the art gallery and the
museum as an institution and as a setting for
work and cultural production. To explore course
themes, students will consider the history of
museums and galleries, cultural policy, and
organizational forms. Students will also examine
the economic challenges and market issues that
face art galleries and museums today.

"This course will give students overview of the
organizational and economic dimensions of art
galleries and museums in Norway and around the
world. Course participants will develop the
ability to understand and analyze art galleries
in terms of its internal characteristics and the
critical factors in the larger environment that
shape them."

The range of topics in the course is broad. The
book can approach the theme from any of several
perspectives. It is not necessary to cover
everything in a single book provided that there
is an overview.

Art gallery as social institution
The history of galleries
The work of the gallery
The gallery and cultural production
Art markets and the sociology of art
Museums
The museum as social institution
The history of the museum
The museum and cultural production
The museum as conceptual marketplace
Museums and the sociology of art
The economics of art
Sponsorship and integrated sponsorship
Cultural collaboration
Organizational and economic challenges of the art gallery
Organizational and economic challenges of museums
Experience and practice
Galleries, museums, art worlds

I am compiling all suggestions and posting the
compilations to the lists. Returns so far have
been helpful, and I am herewith sending the first
compilation.

I welcome further contributions.

Please send your suggestions directly to me at

Thank you,

Ken Friedman
Professor of Leadership and Strategic Design
Department of Communication, Culture, and Language
Norwegian School of Management

Design Research Center
Denmark's Design School

email: [log in to unmask]

1 From: John McMillan <[log in to unmask]>

2 From: "Martin Ferro-Thomsen" <[log in to unmask]>

3 From: M P Ranjan <[log in to unmask]>

4 From: David Sless <[log in to unmask]>

5 From: Deborah Jones <[log in to unmask]>

6 Reply-To: Olav Velthuis <[log in to unmask]>

7 From: Christena Nippert-Eng <[log in to unmask]>

8 From: Alan Murdock <[log in to unmask]>

9 From: kristina niedderer <[log in to unmask]>

10 From: <[log in to unmask]>

11 From: "Bathurst, Ralph" <[log in to unmask]>

12 From: "Daria Loi" <[log in to unmask]>

13 From: Stine Hoholt, Arken

14 From: Michael A R Biggs <[log in to unmask]>

15 From: "Charlotte Frost" <[log in to unmask]>

16 From: "Tracey Lovejoy" <[log in to unmask]>

17 From: Pete Hindle <[log in to unmask]>

18 From: morrie fred <[log in to unmask]>

19 From: Katja Lindqvist <[log in to unmask]>

20 From: "Bonnick, Nicola J" <[log in to unmask]>

21 From: Kjetil Fallan <[log in to unmask]>

22 From: Louise Mazanti <[log in to unmask]>

23 From: Richard Farr <[log in to unmask]>

24 Search by Ken Friedman

25 From: daniela <[log in to unmask]>

26 From: "Geoff Matthews" <[log in to unmask]>

27 From: Lily Diaz <[log in to unmask]>

28 From: Charles Burnette <[log in to unmask]>

29 From: "Nelle Steele" <[log in to unmask]>

30 From: morrie fred <[log in to unmask]>

31 From: Vanessa Rood <[log in to unmask]>

32 From: "Bathurst, Ralph" <[log in to unmask]>

33 From: Carey Young <[log in to unmask]>

34 From: "Geoff Matthews" <[log in to unmask]>

35 From: Hans Samuelson <[log in to unmask]>

36 Susan Baldino <[log in to unmask]>

37 From: "John Cimino" <[log in to unmask]>

--

(1)