JiscMail Logo

Help for NATURAL-HAZARDS-DISASTERS Archives

NATURAL-HAZARDS-DISASTERS Archives

NATURAL-HAZARDS-DISASTERS Archives

NATURAL-HAZARDS-DISASTERS@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

Message:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Topic:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Author:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

LISTSERV Archives

NATURAL-HAZARDS-DISASTERS Home

NATURAL-HAZARDS-DISASTERS Home

NATURAL-HAZARDS-DISASTERS  2005

NATURAL-HAZARDS-DISASTERS 2005

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Log In

Get Password

Get Password

What went wrong with Early Warning?

Chris Piper <[log in to unmask]>

Natural hazards and disasters <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 11 Jan 2005 21:30:16 +1100

text/plain

I agree that something went wrong here.  With only 30 mins notice before the
wave hit Phuket or the Andamans/Nicobar Islands the system which will work
will need to be based around the following rough parameters.

1.  At the scientific measuring stations when there is a major
eruption/movement such as this:
    -  This should immediately be shown to the senior officer on duty
    -  Computer calculations should be carried out to estimate likely area
of damage
    -  If this is potentially a major problem (subjective call here), the
senior officer then activates a Master Alert Switch (a bit like
    the black/red box we see in the movies when a nuclear strike is
imminent)
    -  This sends out a warning message that over-rides everything else on
global communication networks.  This goes thru' to all TV, radio and
internet providers (I'm sure some Microsoft boffin would love to work this
challenge out ...!!)

In order for this to work all the above needs to be carried out in 10
minutes...

2.  When this warning goes out, this sumarises the situation, likely areas
of impact (+ times), and comes up on all TV, radio and internet provider (?)
stations.  TV/radio stations will have the ability to counter this if they
live in an unrelated area (eg West Coast of Africa).

This means that there is a chance that even in fairly remote locations
someone will pick up the message.  I think it would be useful that national
governments actually make it a legal requirement that the local police down
at village level in coastal areas have to have either their
phone/TV/internet or radio manned 24/7.  Under local Disaster/Emergency
Management Plans they will be required to then activate the warning system
(whatever it is) - eg siren.....

Cheers

Chris